Barlines running through system in choral part only

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

NOTOSAUR
Finale Version: Finale 26.1.0.397
Operating System: Windows

Post by NOTOSAUR » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I did not find the answer to this on the forum, so I am reaching out with this new post. Sorry if I missed something!

The case:

I have a score in which the choral parts have barlines on the staff only, so no barlines running through the system. However, after having made a separate vocal part for the Choir only, all barlines DO run through the system and nothing I can do (editing groups, adjusting staff attributes and so on) has any effect on the barlines in the part's system...
What can I do? Since I have to deliver the separate vocal score this weekend I sincerely hope there's someone out there who can help me out here.

Cheers!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:13 pm

The group setting is the place to fix it. Make sure you edit the group from the part, and have chosen the right group.

NOTOSAUR
Finale Version: Finale 26.1.0.397

Post by NOTOSAUR » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Hi Motet,

Thanks for your time and effort. It did'nt do the trick (or I did not understand correctly) but it DID put me on the right path.

After trying all sorts of things related to your suggestion, what solved it was the following:

Selected the four staves > staff tool > edit staff attributes > and I then had to indivudally select 1) soprano 1b) select break barlines, then select (scroll down) 2) tenor, 2b) break barlines etc. (Trying this for the group at once failed...)

Don't know whether this is the correct or fastest way, but hey - it works!

Thanks again and enjoy what is left of your weekend.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:02 pm

That's the beauty of Finale. It has more than one way to gets things accomplished, usually. So, if the easy way is hard to do, it's let's you do it the hard way.

Out of curiosity, I would love to see the file with the wrong barlines to see what really happened.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:31 pm

zuill wrote:Out of curiosity, I would love to see the file with the wrong barlines to see what really happened.
Operator error, I'm guessing. When you make a "new part" of several staves in the score (S A T B) and go to group and bracket them, it's very easy to forget to change the default "barlines through staves" to "only on staves". I've done it often enough myself.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3