ScoreMerger disappearing titles

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

apkyburz
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)
Operating System: Mac

Post by apkyburz » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi Forum,

I know we don't get a lot of calls for ScoreMerger issues, but maybe someone can help.

I'm merging a set of parts into a template score (so, not 'movement merging' but 'part merging').

Finale has never done that before, but about a month ago my template's text boxes (title, composer, orchestrator, etc.) started to be deleted during the merge.

The issue has started on 25 and has carried over to 26. It doesn't seem to be template connected either, as I get the same issue if I part-merge files created with the wizard.

Best,
apkyburz

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:48 pm

You can add this text 2 ways - either in the Score Manager/File Info where they appear as text inserts, or in just a plain old text box. Maybe whichever way you've chosen affects the behavior (?).
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:37 pm

I checked this in v26 and 2014.5 with the same behavior (disappearing Text Blocks). Maybe this has always been the behavior.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:39 am

I didn't know ScoreMerger could merge parts! I have many pieces that were done before linked parts, so I'm eager to try it. I can live with disappearing titles if it works reasonably well.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:51 am

...Well, it kind of made a mess, and it didn't keep the formatted parts, a real disappointment. It put separate tempo and rehearsal marks on every staff instead of recognizing they were common and using "top staff only." It grouped things seemingly arbitrarily--Flute 2 and Oboe are a group, for example.

I guess I'll pass. I still have the original score the parts were made from, after all.

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:23 pm

zuill wrote:I checked this in v26 and 2014.5 with the same behavior (disappearing Text Blocks). Maybe this has always been the behavior.

Zuill
Okay, glad I'm not the only one with this.

Actually, no, this wasn't always like that: Because it's something I commonly use, I have a fairly long Keyboard Maestro macro automating the process for me. Back in the day, you get the title, composer and everything automatically adjusted, depending on the project you're working on.

Well, worst thing is to have a bad attitude about it, so, let's do things differently then!
Last edited by apkyburz on Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:26 pm

motet wrote:...Well, it kind of made a mess, and it didn't keep the formatted parts, a real disappointment. It put separate tempo and rehearsal marks on every staff instead of recognizing they were common and using "top staff only." It grouped things seemingly arbitrarily--Flute 2 and Oboe are a group, for example.

I guess I'll pass. I still have the original score the parts were made from, after all.
Yes, tempo indications need to be in a different expression category; no playback, but works… And yes, the automatic group making needs to be disabled in settings…

Also, if you're in 3/4 you have to put a measure of 4/4 at bar 1, otherwise it won't work.

Quite the mess, huh? :D

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:34 pm

N Grossingink wrote:You can add this text 2 ways - either in the Score Manager/File Info where they appear as text inserts, or in just a plain old text box. Maybe whichever way you've chosen affects the behavior (?).
Good point! Unfortunately, all text boxes not linked to a staff get deleted. And if the title would be linked to the top staff it wouldn't appear in all the parts.

Thanks for the suggestion!

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:22 pm

Hi forum,

For the posterity: I finally stumbled upon the solution to this problem!

After aligning all page margins of score & parts, i.e. giving all of them the same corresponding amount (top, bottom, left, right different but the same in both documents) the merge did not delete any text boxes anymore.