Unmetered measure mystery

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: miker, Peter Thomsen

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Unmetered measure mystery

Post by mark carlson » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Can anyone figure out how I did m. 10 in the attached? It's a very brief cadenza, and it looks perfect in the score, but it's a mess in the part. I thought I had done something like create a 7/4 measure that showed as 4/4, but whenever I click on the time signature tool for the measure, it shows it as being actually 4/4. I also assume that I made the notes with the expanding beams a tuplet of 18 thirty-second notes, but clicking on the first note with the tuplet tool doesn't show that there is any tuplet at all. I am mystified! (I copied this a long time ago but never made a part until now).

All I really want is, in the part, for that brief cadenza measure to show exactly as it does in the score, but the expanding-beam thing is all bunched together. I guess I can manually move each note to where it should be, unless someone has an easier way to suggest.

Thanks,

Mark

Mac 10.14.5
Finale 26
Attachments
Five Whimsies 4.musx
(45.27 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Re: Unmetered measure mystery

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:13 pm

It looks like you over-stuffed the measure and then played around with manual spacing. It might be better to make the measure 9/4 or whatever it needs to be but choose the option to display the key signature as 4/4 (i.e., don't display it, since it's already in 4/4). Then default spacing should work.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:43 pm

I don't see a part in this file. Is this the correct file?

Zuill
Windows 7, Finale 2011-v26.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:11 am

motet wrote:It looks like you over-stuffed the measure and then played around with manual spacing. It might be better to make the measure 9/4 or whatever it needs to be but choose the option to display the key signature as 4/4 (i.e., don't display it, since it's already in 4/4). Then default spacing should work.
Thanks, Motet! I guess I thought that's what I did many years ago when I finally copied this piece, originally done in ink. I'll give it a try.

Mark

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:18 am

zuill wrote:I don't see a part in this file. Is this the correct file?

Zuill
This is very strange. It definitely is the right file, and it has a part--or at least, the pre-uploaded version does. But when I downloaded it from my post, there is no part. I don't get it. How could that be? It's the only file on my computer with that name.

M

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:19 am

I'm just uploading the file again. I checked and rechecked to make sure this has a part. As of this moment, it does.
Attachments
Five Whimsies 4 definitely with part.musx
(48.98 KiB) Downloaded 7 times