Measure Number Regions Won't Display Correctly

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:09 pm

I *always* dread having to do measure number regions, because they just never seem to work, and it consumes a huge amount of time, when it should be so automatic. These are the problems I am having:

1. Each region resets the font and the position to something I don't want, so I have to re-enter that info for each region.
2. Worse, even though I enter "1" as the starting number for each region, it displays as if a continuation of the number from the previous region.
3. And now I just noticed that the measure numbers are not showing in the part at all, except for in region (movement 1), and the part is the entire reason I have created this file.

Based on previous posts about this problem going back a couple of years (Arrgghhh! Why doesn't this get fixed??), I have:

1. closed and reopened the file
2. quit and restarted Finale
3. trashed the preferences and restarted the computer.

None of those works.

I'm attaching a screen shot of the Measure Number window, and also of the file I am dealing with. Please don't critique my layout! I'm just trying to get the measure numbers to display correctly before I deal with that.

Mark

Finale 26
Mac OS 10.14.5

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:43 pm

I don't quite understand your numbering scheme (normally it would be numbered from beginning to end), but I deleted all but the first region and recreated the others (with Add) and set their starting number to 1. File attached.

I think someone discovered recently that if you try to change one of the numbers in the box by deleting the old one first, a bug manifests. Instead, select the number in the box so it's highlighted, but don't delete--just overtype with the new number.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:55 pm

motet wrote:I don't quite understand your numbering scheme (normally it would be numbered from beginning to end), but I deleted all but the first region and recreated the others (with Add) and set their starting number to 1. File attached.

I think someone discovered recently that if you try to change one of the numbers in the box by deleting the old one first, a bug manifests. Instead, select the number in the box so it's highlighted, but don't delete--just overtype with the new number.
Thank you, motet. The numbering is because this is five movements in one file, and I prefer having each movement start with "1". I have yet to add the individual titles and do the layout.

Your fix works, and I am happy to have the file fixed. But I really wish I understood why doing the exact same thing you did (several times) didn't work for me. I guess maybe I managed to trigger that bug you mentioned.

I had this same problem with an earlier multi-movement piece a few months ago. I struggled with it for so long, and all of a sudden, without my doing a thing, the display numbers suddenly appeared correctly.

Do you suppose Finale will ever address this bug?

Thanks so much for your help!

Mark

motet

Post by motet » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:59 pm

mark carlson wrote:But I really wish I understood why doing the exact same thing you did (several times) didn't work for me. I guess maybe I managed to trigger that bug you mentioned.
Are you sure you weren't deleting the number in the box before entering a new one?

motet

Post by motet » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:08 pm

I think once you do that, that region is polluted and must be deleted and recreated.

It is a terrible bug. I despair that they seem unable to fix this and other long-standing bugs.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:34 pm

One thing to try as far as the numbering itself is to Click the Style list and choose 1 2 3 4 again. That usually resets the numbering to the chosen starting number. Do this for each region. Then, since it appears the first region has the correct settings for number font and position, use Jari's JW Measure Numbers plugin, select the whole file, and then choose the option to inherit the adjacent region's settings. It will reset all of them to the first region selected in the process. This saves having to recreate all the regions. might save a few moments of time.

Zuill

P.S.: There was one mistake in the measure selection as well: Region 4 should have ended at 122, and Region 5 should have started at 123.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:22 pm

motet wrote: It is a terrible bug. I despair that they seem unable to fix this and other long-standing bugs.
Thanks for saying this. I feel less alone now!

M

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:23 pm

zuill wrote:One thing to try as far as the numbering itself is to Click the Style list and choose 1 2 3 4 again. That usually resets the numbering to the chosen starting number. Do this for each region. Then, since it appears the first region has the correct settings for number font and position, use Jari's JW Measure Numbers plugin, select the whole file, and then choose the option to inherit the adjacent region's settings. It will reset all of them to the first region selected in the process. This saves having to recreate all the regions. might save a few moments of time.

Zuill

P.S.: There was one mistake in the measure selection as well: Region 4 should have ended at 122, and Region 5 should have started at 123.
Thank you so much! Now I remember that the last time I spent a lot of time on this problem, I clicked on the style list in despair, and that's what corrected the display numbers. And thanks for catching the wrong number.

Mark

zuill

Post by zuill » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:25 pm

In thinking more about this, I tested Jari's JW Measure Numbers plugin, and the starting number issue can be fixed for all the regions at once using the Appearance feature, and selecting the Numbering Style. Choose the 1,2,3,4, which is the default one in the slot. Click OK. Instead of doing one at a time in the Measure Number Region list, it fixes all of them at once.

Zuill

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:28 pm

Where does one find Jari's JW Measure Numbers plugin?

zuill

Post by zuill » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:09 pm

Here's the link to the page for 64bit Mac plugins. The Measure Numbers plugin is on the second page.

https://www.finaletips.nu/index.php/dow ... c-plug-ins

Zuill

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:18 pm

zuill wrote:Here's the link to the page for 64bit Mac plugins. The Measure Numbers plugin is on the second page.

https://www.finaletips.nu/index.php/dow ... c-plug-ins

Zuill
Thank you!

leonardociampa
Finale Version: Finale v. 27

Post by leonardociampa » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:12 am

zuill wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:34 pm
One thing to try as far as the numbering itself is to Click the Style list and choose 1 2 3 4 again. That usually resets the numbering to the chosen starting number. Do this for each region.
Bingo! That solution worked for me.

miguelrode
Finale Version: 27.2

Post by miguelrode » Tue May 16, 2023 5:47 pm

Hello everybody,

Thank you for this discussion as I just encountered this bug. Resetting the style was the key to work around the issue and then I had to adjust font, positioning and other settings on each of my regions. Adding my vote asking the Finale team to fix this bug... 4 years later!

Cheers,
MR

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Tue May 16, 2023 5:49 pm

miguelrode wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:47 pm
Hello everybody,

Thank you for this discussion as I just encountered this bug. Resetting the style was the key to work around the issue and then I had to adjust font, positioning and other settings on each of my regions. Adding my vote asking the Finale team to fix this bug... 4 years later!

Cheers,
MR
Finale is not great about fixing known bugs, but I am ever the optimist!

firstposition1
Finale Version: 27

Post by firstposition1 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:40 pm

I have also been struggling with this; 8 regions and each extracted part had to be dealt with separately. I'm pleased to see that it is not my incompetence but a bug. Maybe it will be fixed soon!