Key Commands

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

loff56
Finale Version: 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by loff56 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:16 pm

Is it me, or are a bunch of the key commands that you can find from the menus of some tools sometimes not completely accurate? I'm on a Mac, Finale 26.1. I've been teaching myself Simple Entry - I'm a long time Speedy Entry user, but thought I'd see how the other half lives - and particularly in this tool there are many things that aren't correct. Opt-C, Opt-K and Opt-T for example don't work for clef, key and time signature changes. Instead Shift-Opt-C,Shift-Opt-K and Shift-Opt-T are what's needed.
Anyone know what's going on here? Have updates to OSX software over the years required adjusting of some keystrokes that just didn't get updated visually in those menus? It's bizarre. There are also so many functions throughout the program that have two or three keystrokes that do the same thing. In Speedy Entry both H and O will hide notes, G and ; will create grace notes... a lot of stuff like that.
Anyone know the story about any of this?

Thanks!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:09 am

I have Windows, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were mistakes in the manual. I don't know the reason for the duplicate keys. If I had to guess, I would guess someone came along later and thought G was easier to remember than ;, but who knows. It is kind of a mess.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:33 am

There's a Speedy entry non-MIDI mode where you can use the letter keys to enter pitches by pressing CapsLock, All letters but O, L, and P are thus subsumed, so maybe that's the reason for O and ;.

loff56
Finale Version: 26.3

Post by loff56 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:38 am

Oh, that’s a good point about the Speedy Entry non-MIDI Caps Lock mode taking up some of those keystrokes like G, and H. There are still some others that don’t quite make sense though. I’m more curious about the fact that the shortcuts listed to the right of the menu options don’t always coincide with what’s correct for those functions. It’s a mystery to me.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:45 am

Here is an example of an error in the Mac manual for key commands for a quaver rest in Engraver Font Set. One actually has to key Option+Shift+e rather than r. I often use a combination of these rests as expressions plus hidden notes when I want a melisma's word extension to continue through short rests.

Is there an equivalent error in the Windows manual?

This has been around for a while and has been reported, but…
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6