Smart Shapes Won't Stay Put

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:43 pm

In m. 10 of the attached, the trill symbol and the hairpins will not stay as I place them. The trill should be directly above the A flat half note, and the crescendo should begin at the beginning of the notes with the expanding beams and last until the forte symbol, and the decrescendo should be between the forte and the mezzo-forte. The trill keeps moving to the right, and if I do anything--like trying to extend the wavy line to the right with the RIGHT arrow key--the entire symbol moves to the LEFT.

I've tried deleting them and re-entering them more times than I can count. In the version that I have for the flute part, I've tried entering these things directly on the flute part instead of in the score. Nothing works. They just won't stay where I want them to. The crescendo's end will collide with the F, and the beginning of the decrescendo moves to the left.

No doubt, it is related to how I moved notes manually in order to get the spacing of things right, but shouldn't things still stay attached to the notes they were originally attached to?

In the attachment that is the version for the flute part, they are in the fourth movement, also m. 10.

Any help and understanding of how I can fix this will make me very happy (and much less stressed!).

Thanks,

Mark

Finale 26
Mac OS 10.14.5

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 am

When I originally experimented with using the JW Meter and Rhythm plugin on this measure, it applied a 37/16 time signature to look like 4/4. In doing so, I don't have problems with Smart Shapes staying put. You might try that. I think the 9/4, which is not exactly representing the actual number the plugin calculates. I even tried 36/16, and there was still misbehavior. However, with 37/16, they seem to be stable. Another approach I tried was to make a composite signature of 9/4 + 1/16, and that seemed to cure the problem as well.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:54 am

I counted the note values, and there are 37 16th notes value in the measure, so 9/4 misses the mark. Add the extra 16th note value per my suggestion to fix the problem. How did you arrive at 9/4?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:11 am

zuill wrote:I counted the note values, and there are 37 16th notes value in the measure, so 9/4 misses the mark. Add the extra 16th note value per my suggestion to fix the problem. How did you arrive at 9/4?

Zuill
The truth is that I copied this piece so long ago that I don't remember how I did, and it wasn't a problem at all until I started to create a part for it. A couple of days ago, I posted on here, asking if anyone could see how I had done it, as the part for that measure just didn't work. Someone suggested that if made the number of beats 8 or 9, the spacing would work. I tried 8, and it improved things, but 9 was better.

But I just changed the meter to 37/16 on your advice, and I have reasonable hope that those smart shapes will stay put now.

Thanks again!

Mark

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:22 am

Hallelujah! Just changing the meter to 37/16 did the trick.

Thanks a million, Zuill!

Mark