Using 1-line staff for two percussion instruments in Choral score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

probb
Finale Version: 26.0.1.706
Operating System: Mac

Post by probb » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:34 am

This seems like it should be a very simple thing to do, but I am not figuring out how to add a 1-line percussion staff to a choral score that allows me to enter slash notes at different heights on the staff. The piano/vocal score is finished and I need to insert the percussion line with 2 different percussion instruments into a conductor copy.

For the sake of keeping two systems on a page, I want to place two percussion instruments on this single 1-line staff, one instrument above the staff with stems up and the other just below the staff with stems down.

I've got the new 1-line percussion staff between the bottom vocal stave and the grand staff. I've tried using the Edit Staff Attributes and Define Staff Styles, but can't see how to enable the slash note placement anywhere other than right on the staff.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:06 am

Are you talking about traditional slash notation, or rhythmic notation with slash noteheads and stems?

Zuill

P.S.: Does this picture have anything of interest?
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:02 pm

I'd suggest not using slash notation for percussion staves when writing for specific instruments. Most all publishers use either regular noteheads or X and diamond noteheads, depending on the instrument. A simple recipe is to use regular noteheads for any kind of drum or woodblock, and X and diamonds for just about any other percussion instrument.

I think the percussion maps for the various instruments included with Finale usually always utilize the proper style noteheads.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3