2005 -- how to make a quarter/eighth triplet ?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gdw3

Post by gdw3 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:05 pm

Hi. This is my first post, but I'm a Finale user for about 3 years now. I have one thing that's driving me a little nuts, so, maybe you all can help.

I have a measure where there are 2 eighth notes making up the last beat. Now, it's easy for me to make them into a 3-note triplet, but what I want to do is make it a triplet out of a quarter note and an eighth note. So, the first 2 notes of the triplet are actually 1 quarter note, and then the last eighth note of the triplet sounds. Is this clear?

Anyway, I can't get Finale to let me do it. Arg! Suggestions?

BTW, Finale 2005b. Thanks!

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:48 pm

gdw3 wrote:...what I want to do is make it a triplet out of a quarter note and an eighth note.
When you define a triplet, the first entry should always be the "unit" of the triplet, in your example the eight note. After entering the eight note, come back to it (left arrow) and change it into a quarter note. To conclude the triplet, an eight note will be accepted.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

gdw3

Post by gdw3 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:03 pm

Aha! I've been trying to do it with Simple entry, and it wouldn't let me do it, no matter how I tried to enter it. But I just tried w/ Speedy entry, and it worked.

OK, that leads me to a rant -- why won't Simple entry let me do something "simple" like that?!? What if I don't have a keyboard handy? I was trying to do some fixes on my laptop. Simple entry should have the same capabilities as Speedy, don't you think?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:20 pm

I don't understand why Simple Entry won't let you do the quarter/eighth triplet.
It works fine for me.

In this example let's say that you want to enter a quarter/eighth triplet on the last beat of the measure.
And let's say that both the notes are A's.

The following entry string in Simple Entry works for me:

NumPad 5 (...I want a quarter note...)
A (...namely an A...)
(on Windows:) Alt-NumPad 9, or (on Macintosh:) Command-NumPad 9 (...Simple Entry Tuplet Definition...)
Choose "Eighth(s)" in both pop up menus.
Click OK. (...the triplet is defined...)
4 (...now I want an eighth note...)
A (...namely an A...)

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

gdw3

Post by gdw3 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:27 pm

Ah, I see how you're doing it. I was just using the triplet tool button along w/ an eighth or quarter note and clicking it in. Thanks for the tip.

at8ax
Finale Version: PC 2014.5, 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by at8ax » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:55 pm

The other Speedy method (even speedier): Instead of ctrl-3, hit ctrl-1. This launches the tuplet definition box, which I believe is already set for 3 eighths / 2 eighths, so you just hit the Enter key (I avoid mouse clicks to the best of my ability) and input your quarter and eighth notes.