Unable to Edit File in Guitar TAB

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

RO_GTR
Finale Version: 14.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by RO_GTR » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:10 pm

Hiya. I created a document in Finale 14.5 using both standard notation and Guitar TAB. Basically, I want to move a melody line up an octave and rework the section as I am performing a massive rework. When I reworked the section and dragged the notation down to create TAB, it posted negative red fret positions. I run into this quite a bit, a definite recurring problem. Then I tried to reverse the process and work it out in TAB and drag that up to create notation. It wouldn't take and it resorted to the original notes I had entered some time ago. I tried clearing all content in that measure and that didn't help. Does this measure "remember" what I originally wrote? Also in the process of editing this arrangement, when dragging the notation down to create TAB (I always set it to the appropriate lowest fret) Finale crashes and closes. Actually this crashing issue occurs VERY FREQUENTLY since the last time I installed Finale on this computer (reinstalled Windows 10), multiple times a week.

I will attach the entire document so as to give you access to it. The problem occurred in the very last measure of page one. I was able to edit earlier measures without a problem and I stopped reworking it when I ran into this problem.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:34 pm

The last measure of page 1 seems to work properly for me, so maybe there's something else going on with your system.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

RO_GTR

Post by RO_GTR » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:20 pm

Perhaps it is somehow linked to how the program is installed on my computer? I've had this same issue on different computers, different operating systems (Windows 7, Windows 10.) What are some other possibilities?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Just a “shot in the dark”:

Perhaps this option is the culprit?

Preferences-Edit.jpg
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:07 am

I have the option to respect instrument ranges unchecked, and I got the proper result. With it checked, I got the erroneous result. That must be the culprit.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

RO_GTR

Post by RO_GTR » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:38 pm

PETER...Right On! That fixed the problem.

I have had some nagging problems with Finale for years and this has me wondering if the issues might be related to the preference settings. I have never accessed this screen before and whenever I have contacted Finale about my various problems and sent a file, they told me everything was fine at their end. These recurring problems exited on various computers and both Windows 7 and 10. I was starting to wonder if there is some master setting somewhere in the software, or if Finale has a preference file somewhere that was affecting me. I obviously don't understand how software works, the parameters.

Thanks again. I will keep this 'preference' screen in mind with other nagging issues.