expressions default

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:25 pm

One of the other posts sparked my curiosity about the default expressions menu box. I don't think there is a way to edit and save the default MM expressions. I know you can make a new lib file. Export it and reload it each time but I would prefer Finale just default to my prefered expressions.
For instance I think these three should be expressions beside being articulations. The breath mark, fermata and caesura. Any way?
expressions.jpg
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:27 pm

I also know I can make a template which is what I am currently doing. Still prefer it be the default expressions box.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:43 pm

If you make the changes in your document styles and default document, they should be there.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:55 pm

Correct. That isn't what I want. That's why I make templates.
I would like Finale to default to my expressions in each new file. Not using a template, just starting a new file. I don't think you can alter that. One issue it solves, you can't put a fermata on a rest unless you make a 'real' rest first. In expressions you can put it wherever even on a bar line. Breathe marks and caesura place more easily, too.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:10 pm

Finale gets its expressions from a default template. That's how it works. When you create a new file, is uses the template (you don't explicitly have to pick the template). The expressions aren't hard-wired in. So, to get what you want, change that template. There are a few default templates, depending what what style you choose. It's documented in the manual, I believe.

This is a good design--you don't need to plead with MakeMusic about what the defaults should be--change them to what you want.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:19 pm

So, to get what you want, change that template.
If you would be so kind, how do you do that? I don't think you can but if it is possible I have missed it.
...you don't need to plead with MakeMusic about what the defaults should be...
Did it appear like I was "pleading" with MM? Hmm, I thought of it more as just a question on how to do something I didn't know.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:02 pm

Open the template, make your changes, and save it: same name, same location.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:12 am

Perhaps I am not making myself clear. Forget the template thing. I know how to use templates.

I want the default expressions.lib (or whatever it's called) to reflect my choices. I think changing it is impossible but that is what I am asking.
Here it is again.....
One of the other posts sparked my curiosity about the default expressions menu box. I don't think there is a way to edit and save the default MM expressions. I know you can make a new lib file. Export it and reload it each time but I would prefer Finale just default to my prefered expressions.
For instance I think these three should be expressions beside being articulations. The breath mark, fermata and caesura. Any way?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:22 am

Go to

C:\Users\Userid\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 2014.5\Music Files\Default Files

(Make changes to your userid and Finale version as appropriate).

There you should see

Handwritten Default.ftmx
Jazz Font Default.ftmx
Maestro Font Default.ftmx

Those are what are used for a "default document."

There are also a slew of templates in

C:\Users\Userid\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 2014.5\Music Files\Document Styles

That I think are used for the various other file creation wizard choices.

Edit the ones you use.

I think these templates all have the Expressions library already loaded. This is both good and bad. It's good if you want them all to potentially be different, bad if you want them all to be the same, in which case you'll have to edit all you use. If you make a library of just your new expressions, that will probably speed up the process of changing multiple templates.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:46 pm

Thanx guys for your patience and answers but I found the answer on another Finale blog.

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5

Post by HaraldS » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:29 pm

ebiggs1 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:46 pm
Thanx guys for your patience and answers but I found the answer on another Finale blog.
So what's the solution then? I would be very interested, please share that solution with us. Thanks in advance.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:45 pm

Oh, sorry, I was right you basically can't edit or change the default expressions.lib file. You can do any edits you like and export it, save it under a different name then reload it next time you want it. Unless anyone knows different I believe I am done. Those three, breath mark, fermata and caesura should be expressions along with being articulations. Plus there are a few others I would include.