Rebaring backwards

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: miker, Peter Thomsen

Post Reply
User avatar
apkyburz
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:50 am
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)
Operating System: Mac

Rebaring backwards

Post by apkyburz » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi folks,

A quick question:

I had to change the time sig. of a measure 4/4 to 6/4. Now I should move half of the next 4/4 measure into the end of the 6/4.

Obviously, this can be done by hand but I'm wondering if there's a way to have it done automatically.

Thanks,
apkyburz
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 2.57.45 PM copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 2.57.45 PM copy.jpg (148.29 KiB) Viewed 506 times

Re: Rebaring backwards

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor
 

User avatar
Peter Thomsen
Posts: 5645
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:47 pm
Finale Version: Finale v26.2.1
Operating System: Mac

Re: Rebaring backwards

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:29 am

No need to do it “by hand”, and enter the notes one-by-one.

1) It can be done with the Time Signature Tool.

2) But wait! - instead of using the Time Signature Tool there may be a faster way for you:

According to your forum Profile you have
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)

I suppose ‘JW’ means that you have Jari Williamson’s plug-ins, right?

* Do you have the plug-in JW Meter and Rhythm ?

Disclaimer:
Your forum Profile tells that your Operating System is Mac OS, but I can not see which version of Mac OS.
JW Meter and Rhythm is not (yet) 64-bit.
Mac OS X 10.14 (Mojave), Finale user since 1996

User avatar
michelp
Posts: 1551
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:35 pm
Finale Version: 25.5, 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Re: Rebaring backwards

Post by michelp » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:13 am

FYI, JW Meter and Rhythm is available in 64 bit, I have it installed in Finale 25.
Michel
MacOsX 10.11.6, Finale 25.5, 2014.5, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. Full TGTools. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27' pivot, 24')

User avatar
apkyburz
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:50 am
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)
Operating System: Mac

Re: Rebaring backwards

Post by apkyburz » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:12 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:29 am
No need to do it “by hand”, and enter the notes one-by-one.

1) It can be done with the Time Signature Tool.

2) But wait! - instead of using the Time Signature Tool there may be a faster way for you:

According to your forum Profile you have
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)

I suppose ‘JW’ means that you have Jari Williamson’s plug-ins, right?

* Do you have the plug-in JW Meter and Rhythm ?

Disclaimer:
Your forum Profile tells that your Operating System is Mac OS, but I can not see which version of Mac OS.
JW Meter and Rhythm is not (yet) 64-bit.
Hi Peter,

Yes, I got the M&R tool; if you (or sb.) has the time, could you give me a hand; I'm a bit at a loss.

Thanks,
apkyburz

User avatar
zuill
Posts: 2808
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 pm
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.2
Operating System: Windows

Re: Rebaring backwards

Post by zuill » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:51 pm

I too am unsure as to Peter's suggestion. I don't know of a way with the plugin.

Question: once you move half of the next measure to the end of the 6/4 bar, will you leave that half of the 4/4 bar blank? I'm not sure from your picture as to the end result of the move. Or, do you want everything to move back 2 beats from that point on? A little fuzzy on what is needed.

Zuill
Windows 7, Finale 2011-v26.2
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Nick Mazuk
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:29 am
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Re: Rebaring backwards

Post by Nick Mazuk » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:46 am

I'm not sure what Peter is saying either, but here's how I'd do it.

1) Change the 4/4 to 2/4
2) Copy the first 2/4 into the last two beats of the 6/4
3) Delete that first 2/4 measure
4) Change the 2/4 to 4/4

If you have any slurs, you'll have to redo them using this method.
Nick

User avatar
apkyburz
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:50 am
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)
Operating System: Mac

Re: Rebaring backwards

Post by apkyburz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:30 pm

Nick Mazuk wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:46 am
I'm not sure what Peter is saying either, but here's how I'd do it.

1) Change the 4/4 to 2/4
2) Copy the first 2/4 into the last two beats of the 6/4
3) Delete that first 2/4 measure
4) Change the 2/4 to 4/4

If you have any slurs, you'll have to redo them using this method.
Nice! That's the cleanest way to get it done!

Thanks Nick!

User avatar
zuill
Posts: 2808
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 pm
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.2
Operating System: Windows

Re: Rebaring backwards

Post by zuill » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:06 pm

I guess I'm still confused. Why not just select and drag?

Zuill
Windows 7, Finale 2011-v26.2
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

User avatar
apkyburz
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:50 am
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)
Operating System: Mac

Re: Rebaring backwards

Post by apkyburz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:31 pm

zuill wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:06 pm
I guess I'm still confused. Why not just select and drag?

Zuill
It's true, it works just as fine and is faster!
One question about that, since you're here: I can easily select (and drag) all of the music that is visible on the monitor. If I want to select more staffs, I'd do "shift & up down arrow", one staff at a time. Do you know of another way to select all the staffs at once?
Nit-picky, but I'm serious.

Thanks

User avatar
N Grossingink
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:50 pm
Finale Version: 2012, 25.3
Operating System: Mac

Re: Rebaring backwards

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:23 pm

Double click on the first measure - it will select the entire measure stack. Press Shift, then End. That will select all measures from that point to the end.
N. Grossingink
Department of Public Works Music Engraving Inspector - Milwaukee, WI


Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.12.6
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.2

User avatar
apkyburz
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:50 am
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)
Operating System: Mac

Re: Rebaring backwards

Post by apkyburz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:29 pm

N Grossingink wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:23 pm
Double click on the first measure - it will select the entire measure stack. Press Shift, then End. That will select all measures from that point to the end.
Absolutely! But I think I should be more specific: is there a way to quickly select only parts of a measure (half, just one quarter, etc.) in all the staffs?

User avatar
N Grossingink
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:50 pm
Finale Version: 2012, 25.3
Operating System: Mac

Re: Rebaring backwards

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:35 pm

Go to the first staff. Press the mouse button and "draw a lasso" around the beats you want to select, let's say beats 3 and 4. Release the mouse button, press shift, and click on beat 3 of the last staff.
N. Grossingink
Department of Public Works Music Engraving Inspector - Milwaukee, WI


Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.12.6
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.2

User avatar
apkyburz
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:50 am
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)
Operating System: Mac

Re: Rebaring backwards

Post by apkyburz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:17 pm

N Grossingink wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:35 pm
Go to the first staff. Press the mouse button and "draw a lasso" around the beats you want to select, let's say beats 3 and 4. Release the mouse button, press shift, and click on beat 3 of the last staff.
Much appreciated, thank you.

User avatar
Peter Thomsen
Posts: 5645
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:47 pm
Finale Version: Finale v26.2.1
Operating System: Mac

Re: Rebaring backwards

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:23 pm

Oops! Sorry!

I have been very busy lately, and I was way too tired when I wrote that post.

Just “fahget about it”.

What the other forum users have suggested, is definitely best.
Mac OS X 10.14 (Mojave), Finale user since 1996

User avatar
apkyburz
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:50 am
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)
Operating System: Mac

Re: Rebaring backwards

Post by apkyburz » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:20 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:23 pm
Oops! Sorry!

I have been very busy lately, and I was way too tired when I wrote that post.

Just “fahget about it”.

What the other forum users have suggested, is definitely best.
No prob. Happens even to the best of us, as we can see. :wink:

Post Reply