Cause Score To Show Written C Major For All Instruments

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

michaelrmurrin
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by michaelrmurrin » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:59 am

Edit - solved. See my reply post below this one...

I have a Finale file in Finale 25. It is a score which is 10 pages long and has 10 different instruments. I created this score in Finale 25 as a brand new score (several weeks ago).

After I created this new file, I opened up the old Finale file for a brass quintet piece I have, which was made in Finale 2012 (a .mus file), I highlighted everything in the brass quintet file, then pasted it into the new Finale 25 file, so it would copy all of the time signatures. The brass quintet (Finale 2012) file was set up so that it had no key signatures - it displayed in "written C major" for all instruments, regardless of which key the instrument is in. That is, it displayed in "written C major" for the Bb trumpet parts and F horn parts - regardless of whether or not "display in concert pitch" was chosen. This was the way I wanted it.

But when I copied and pasted the brass quintet parts into the new Finale 25 score, it showed the key signatures appropriate to concert C major. So the Bb trumpet parts showed 2 sharps, the horn part showed 1 sharp. But I wanted it to show written C major for all instruments. So I did what I thought was all that was needed to fix the problem: I chose the Staff tool, went to each staff, right clicked, and chose "edit staff attributes", and under "Behaviors" I clicked "ignore key signatures", and under "Items to display" I de-selected "key signatures". Then, I don't actually remember, but it must have appeared to have hidden all of the key signatures, and functioned as I wanted it to. Because then I moved on and started working on the piece. So I went into "Document" and selected "Display in concert pitch" which I normally have turned on while I'm working on a piece. So then I worked on this piece for weeks, working on the large brass ensemble version of this piece. Tonight, I was just starting to clean up the score, so I de-selected "Display in concert pitch". Then, eventually, I noticed that the Bb trumpet parts and F horn parts, despite the fact that "Ignore key signatures" is chosen, are all displaying the accidentals as if the piece is in concert C major. In other words, the Bb trumpet parts are showing accidentals for written C naturals and F naturals, despite the fact that there is (supposedly) no key signature. (And on top of that, when there is a note that should be a written C-sharp, Finale displays no accidental on the C). I've tried a few tricks but I can't seem to get anything to work. I tried changing it to "Keyless" but the file still acts as if the piece is in concert C major.

I got this to work (showing all staves in written C major) when I had Finale 2012, so I don't understand what it going wrong here in Finale 25. Why does it seem impossible to have all of the parts display in written C major? And does anyone know how I might be able to fix this?

Attached is a file for example.
Last edited by michaelrmurrin on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

michaelrmurrin
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by michaelrmurrin » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:04 am

Oh ---- I just solved the problem. After I posted this, I searched online for 5 seconds and found a page which reminded me of one aspect I was forgetting. I need to go into ScoreManager, select the instrument, and change the transposition from "Up M2, add 2 sharps", to "Chromatic - Up M2". That solved the problem...