Question From a Possible New User.......

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

one6two5

Post by one6two5 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:59 am

The one thing that kept me from becoming a Finale user in the past was that it didn't have color options. I know that may sound a bit silly to some but, it's just something I have to have with my teaching materials. Color plays such an important role for me - the ablity to apply color to any and all objects on a page.

I was wondering, does 2006 have this capability? or; Is there a plugin available that allows this feature?

Thanks in advance for your response.

one6two5

Post by one6two5 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:45 pm

You mean there's actually not one person who can answer this simple question?

Scares me a bit - if owned Finale, this is the kind of response I'd get?

Thanks again - I think :?

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:19 pm

Some elements, as far as I know (I use Finale 2005) :
1 ) The Finale "program options" allow you to decide the colour that displays on the screen for the various elements of notation in the score (notes in each layer, articulations, text expressions, etc...)
2 ) But all elements of a type (notes of a layer, text expressions, etc) will have the same colour all over the score;
For notes, as there are 4 layers, that means 4 colours are available, period.
3 ) It is possible to print the score in black and white or with the colours as defined in the program options for screen display.
4) The graphic tool allows you to import coloured images

I can imagine that this is not enough for some specific (pedagogical) needs.
The request to have more control on the colour of individual elements has been expressed in the forums... and to MakeMusic.
At first sight, nothing new in version 2006, if one reads the feature list here :
http://www.finalemusic.com/finale/
A last advice : make a search on this topic in the MakeMusic forum, http://forum.makemusic.com/
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

one6two5

Post by one6two5 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:44 am

So the answer is no.

Thanks michelp - appreciate your response.

I have to say that I'm absolutely amazed that a program such as Finale, with its amazing power and versitility doesn't have a feature that some $70 programs have and all of the othe highend one have.

Oh well, I can get along without it.

thanks

at8ax
Finale Version: PC 2014.5, 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by at8ax » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:58 pm

?? Different elements, even different notes can appear in colors on the screen and be printed as such. How is that "no"? Or were you asking something else entirely?

one6two5

Post by one6two5 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:42 pm

I simply wanted to know if I can select any element on the page and make it the color of my choice.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:41 pm

one6two5 wrote:I simply wanted to know if I can select any element on the page and make it the color of my choice.
Following up on that discussion, I just read something related on the European forum (http://www.finaleforum.superflexible.ne ... php?t=1363).
The post is in German, so here the summary :
"export the file (in Finale's graphic tool, as an eps file). Then import it in a vector graphic program like Corel Draw, which allows you to change the colour of any individual element or even distort its shape."
It seems I can't attach anything to this post, so take a look at the example this user (Martin Gieseking) shows on that forum, it's the 3rd post of the thread.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua