Mid-staff Percussion Instrument Change to Jingle Bells

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

SamGroude
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by SamGroude » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:13 pm

I am trying to change instruments mid-staff on a percussion staff playing "basic orchestral percussion" sounds on GPO5. I want to change to "jingle bells." When I use "change instrument" in the "utilities" drop down and click on "jingle bells" the selected measures change to a single line staff and when entering notes there is no "jingle bells" sound. Can someone please tell me how to keep the fine line staff and what else I need to do to notate the "jingle bells" and have them play back. Many thanks!

Mac Mohave
Finale 26

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Let's start with this demo file. If it is close to what you need, then we can go from there.

Zuil
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

SamGroude

Post by SamGroude » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks Zuill, I really appreciate it. The demo file is basically what I want the staff to look like, but when I play it, it is silent for the first and third systems, and the second system, marked "jingle plays" plays on a piano sound. On my computer this demo file opens with "Garritan Instruments for Finale" and "Basic Orchestra Percussion." Thanks again for helping me with this!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Since it plays back correctly on my system, it must be a system specific, or maybe GPO5 issue. I wish I could be of more help with the playback problems. As far as the staff, that is an easy fix. Apply the Change Instrument utility, then, in the Score Manager, change the 1 line staff to a 5 line staff.

Zuill

P.S.: The attached mp3 file plays what I am hearing from this file.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

SamGroude

Post by SamGroude » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:51 pm

Thanks again Zuill. Couldn’t make the original percussion staff play the jingle bells but was able to notate the part silently on that staff and then created a new staff that played the bells and hid it.