Transfering preferences to new computer

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Gareth Green
Finale Version: Finale 26.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by Gareth Green » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:11 pm

So, I just reinstalled Finale onto a new laptop, having deauthorised the old laptop. I carefully located and made a copy of the old .INI file on a USB stick. Having successfully installed and activated finale on the new laptop, I then deleted the .INI file and replaced it with the old one from the USB stick. I was expecting all my preferences, including window/menu/toolbar layouts to reappear when I restarted, but this didn't happen. Have I misunderstood something? Is there anything I can do to avoid having to reset all my preferences from scratch?

TIA

Gareth
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:45 pm

Perhaps you put the .INI file in the wrong folder?

You do know that there are two identically named Finale folder hierarchies, one at the System level, and another in your user account, right?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Window/menu/toolbar layouts are not stored in finale.ini but rather in the Windows registry. I have successfully transferred such settings, and keep a copy of them for the occasions when the toolbars get messed up due to poor Finale programming (it seems to happen occasionally when Finale loses focus).

On your old machine, run Regedit and find

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MakeMusic\Finale2014.5

or whichever version you have. Right-click on that and export it to a .reg file. Move that file to the new maching and double-click to import it to the registry.

Gareth Green
Finale Version: Finale 26.2

Post by Gareth Green » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:10 am

Many thanks for responses; I'll see what I can do ...
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10