Misplaced ties and slurs

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

magnefl
Finale Version: 27.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by magnefl » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:37 pm

I have come across an error recently, I don't remember if it also occurred before upgrading to macOS Catalina – or wether there have been any recent updates to Catalina or Finale which may have triggered this, but here goes:

Ties and slurs are occasionally misplaced (see attachment) when I reopen a Finale file. These .musxfiles are made with a default document I have created with my own adjustments. I have also recently gotten a an error message telling me that I miss a fontannotationfile (see attachment). I have chosen both "select a file" and "auto-generate", but I still get the request.

I use Finale a lot, both at my work Mac and at my home Mac.

I have used my default document for more than a month now and these problems didn't occur until recently.

Thank you!

Magne

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:18 pm

The layout certainly looks like a Font Annotation file is missing.

Take a look in the folder Font Annotation.
What .FAN files are there?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:55 pm

Try this-

Open a file. If the ties and slurs aren't right, go to Document Menu > Set Default Music Font. The right font is probably selected, so click OK. Any difference?

Following these directions, you are not usually making a change, just "touching" the dialog, which may do something.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

magnefl

Post by magnefl » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:33 pm

N Grossingink wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:55 pm
Try this-

Open a file. If the ties and slurs aren't right, go to Document Menu > Set Default Music Font. The right font is probably selected, so click OK. Any difference?

Following these directions, you are not usually making a change, just "touching" the dialog, which may do something.
This seems to help in the moment I get this message, but doesn't seem to really solve the problem in the long run. The dialogue box reappears after a while asking me to either select a font set, or let Finale regenerate one... The ties and slurs looks off when I let Finale auto-generate, and looks fine if I select the font set myself. However, when I choose (what for me looks like) the right font set (EngraverFontSet.fan) Finale prompts me with the following alert:

"The selected .FAN file does not contain font annotation information for the font "Engraver Font Set". Please select a different one." If I then cancel the operation, Finale works correctly until I reopen a document when the message reappears.
Peter Thomsen wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:18 pm
The layout certainly looks like a Font Annotation file is missing.

Take a look in the folder Font Annotation.
What .FAN files are there?
These are the .fan files I have at my home Mac (for the template I experience problems with, I use the engraver font set: EngraverFontSet.fan):

Arial.fan
Broadway Copyist Perc.fan
Broadway Copyist Text Ext.fan
Broadway Copyist Text.fan
Broadway Copyist.fan
EngraverFontExtras.fan
EngraverFontSet.fan
EngraverTextH.fan
EngraverTextNCS.fan
EngraverTextT.fan
EngraverTime.fan
Finale AlphaNotes.fan
Finale Mallets.fan
Finale Percussion.fan
Jazz.fan
JazzCord.fan
JazzPerc.fan
JazzText Extended.fan
JazzText.fan
Maestro Perc.fan
Maestro Wide.fan
Maestro.fan
MaestroTimes.fan
Petrucci.fan
Seville.fan
Tamburo.fan
Times New Roman.fan
Times.fan

Thanks,

Magne

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:58 pm

magnefl wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:37 pm
… I don't remember if it also occurred before upgrading to macOS Catalina …
Catalina may be the culprit.

MakeMusic recommends that you do not upgrade to Catalina until you have installed the next Finale v26 maintenance update (which is expected to be released in approximately a month)
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:51 pm

Another thing to consider is that the Engraver fonts were changed several years ago, and that has caused problems. One of the changes is the font name style. For instance, EngraverFontSet and Engraver Font Set are 2 different fonts. According to your list of annotation files, the font you have installed should be named EngraverFontSet. You might want to check your installed fonts to see if the names match the fan file names.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

magnefl

Post by magnefl » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:25 pm

N Grossingink wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:51 pm
Another thing to consider is that the Engraver fonts were changed several years ago, and that has caused problems. One of the changes is the font name style. For instance, EngraverFontSet and Engraver Font Set are 2 different fonts. According to your list of annotation files, the font you have installed should be named EngraverFontSet. You might want to check your installed fonts to see if the names match the fan file names.
I think you are on to something here.. When I think of it, Finale asks about "Engraver Font Set", not "FinaleFontSet". Ill see if this solves my problem!

Thanks!

Magne

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by Anders Hedelin » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:39 pm

Just curious. Can anyone explain why fonts or font annotation files would affect ties and slurs? In Windows I've never come across this.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10