Playback of some instruments lost

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:20 pm

I often lose playback of some instruments (when the score gets busy), which can be any number of instruments in an ensemble. When the problem occurs, most of the notation is excluded when the part is extracted. My workaround has been to toggle between the problematic instrument and one similar: for example, if playback of Cello KS is lost, I change the sound in Score Manager to Cello Solo, play a measure or two then switch the sound back to Cello KS. So far that option has worked. Has anyone experienced this issue and found a remedy?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:35 pm

I'd be very surprised if too-busy playback resulted in notational elements being lost, if that's what you're saying. Something else must be wrong.

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:47 am

The notes in the score do not get lost. But when playback of an instrument fails then most of the notation in the "extracted part" disappears.

Extracting a part is the only way I know of how to save it as a .wav file.

When toggling between instruments fails to restore playback, I toggle between devices. Sometimes the latter fails, also. So I copy and paste the instrument line into a new document then export the audio. But I will try to copy and paste the music back into the original score because exporting audio from a new document creates timing issues. If I had a good quantizer in my DAW to synchronize the timing, the extra work would be tolerable.

I can orchestrate a piece with a myriad of instruments, without any issue. But once I start adding glissandos, slurs, ornaments and such, Finale falls apart. It certainly does not accommodate classical or flamenco guitar, unless the piece is elementary.

I really would like to know how to stop Finale from losing its ability to play back instruments in an ensemble. I am not gifted where I might write a score without editing.

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by oldmkvi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:44 am

Do you use Panning, or is everything set to the Centre, which is Mono?
I only have one Big Ensemble I've written for, but it plays fine.
Panning is essential for me.
Maybe if everything is set to the Middle, things could get dense and confused, and not everything would be audible.
Just guessing.
Shouldn't affect notation tho.

Djard

Post by Djard » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:53 am

90% of the problems I experience are resolved by copying and pasting the music into a new document, so I suspect the library file has something to do with the matter.

But the need to toggle instruments to regain playback remains a headache. Since I experience major issues only when adding gliss., guitar bends, circled string numbers and fingering, my conclusion is that Finale does not like guitar notation.

I think the complexity of my current project is too demanding, for now I ran into a new problem: the exported audio files are asynchronous in my DAW. Sigh!

I am going to follow Art's suggestion and play with the channels.