Shape Designer: how to enter special font glyphs and change angle

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

formattingwoes
Finale Version: Finale 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by formattingwoes » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi

I am new to using the shape designer. I am trying to create a "doit" marking. I would like to use glyph 3431 (U+1D185) from the Bravura font (this: 𝆅).

How do I enter this in the shape designer? I have selected my font to be Bravura, but I cannot copy-paste the glyph as I can easily do here ( 𝆅 ).

Additionally, once I do figure out how to enter it, how can I change the rotation of the character? For example, if I am just entering the text "a" in the Shape Designer, how can I rotate 40, 70, 90 degrees, etc?

Thank you

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:07 pm

Use the Smart Line Designer to create an invisible line with contains the font symbol :
Go to the Smart Shape Tool, hold Alt (Mac) or Ctrl (PC) and click on the asterisk icon.
Create a new line. Enter zero for its thickness. Type your symbol (and select Center Full Edit).
To use your line, double click on the score, hold down and drag, then release the mouse button.
You can now rotate the symbol.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

formattingwoes
Finale Version: Finale 25.5.0.259

Post by formattingwoes » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:54 am

A brilliant solution, thank you Michel!

Also, as for the first part of my question, I did figure out how to enter characters into the shape designer text dialogue (for MacOS)

To enter a special character into Shape Designer's text box:
1) Copy the character to your clipboard (if necessary, you can find all characters of a font in Mac’s built-in FontBook via the “repertoire” view setting)
2) Convert the character to UTF-16 (I used a website here: https://www.branah.com/unicode-converter)
3) Go to Shape Designer, text box, then set the font to the correct font.
4) While in “unicode hex input mode” (it is a language setting you can add to your keyboard settings, like “English U.S.” or “Japanese”): type into your text box the UTF-16 code while holding down the Option key.