Transferring Expression Library from one Doc to another Doc

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Blacklab88
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Blacklab88 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:19 pm

There are a few explanations of how to transfer a custom expression library from one document to another, but I'll have to admit I don't understand them. Does anyone have a link or a simple explanation (assuming there might be one)? Thanks.
Here's what I observed, but I may be making a fundamental mistake. I saved a text expression library and re-named it. I then closed that doc and shut down the computer. When I restarted, I opened a new doc and loaded the text expression library I thought I had just saved in the previous session. It was different. Is that possible?
Thanks.
Windows 10; Finale 25, Cubase 10 for Windows; Pencil and paper

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:55 pm

How was it "different"? It sounds like you were doing everything right. Did you save the file first before making the library? I'd suggest you repeat the process and see if that matters. It's not necessary to shut the computer down between steps.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Blacklab88

Post by Blacklab88 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks, N. Here's what happened previously:
While working in document #1, I modified a Text Expression library by adding some edited expressions, moving expressions to other categories, and adding 3 categories. I saved the library at each step. I then closed document #1, and shut down the computer.
The next day, I opened document #2, which had been saved in an earlier version of Finale. I renamed it and saved it. I then loaded the Text Expression library with the same name as the one I had modified the previous day. It did not contain many of the changes I had made, including new categories.
I then re-opened document #1, and loaded the Text Expression library with the same name as the one I had just loaded for document #2.
This library was up to date and contained all the changes I had made the previous day.
??????? I don't understand how this could be, but it is.
I just tested this result by doing the same steps as above, without turning off the computer, and opening the now re-named, re-saved document #2. Same result.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:42 am

I'm not sure if the following remark will be relevant, but here it is :
A new category should have at least one modified parameter (font, positioning, ... via Edit Category). If it is not the case, the category will not be transferrable to another document.
Last edited by michelp on Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:27 pm

michelp wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:42 am
A new category should have at least one modified parameter (font, positioning). If it is not the case, the category will not be transferrable to another document.
Enlarging upon what Michel has stated, maybe the added expressions are really there, just under a different category (?)
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Blacklab88

Post by Blacklab88 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:15 pm

Thanks, Michel and N. Makes sense.
I'll try modifying as suggested and see what happens.
It does seem to me, though, that there would or should be a way to transfer such a library to another doc, no?
Since Finale will not put a search engine in the libraries, the only way for me to organize all my new text expressions (and I would think there are a LOT of contemporary composers who make their own) is to make a new category.

Blacklab88

Post by Blacklab88 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:15 pm

michelp wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:42 am
A new category should have at least one modified parameter (font, positioning, ... via Edit Category). If it is not the case, the category will not be transferrable to another document.
Is there a section in the Help Manual that talks about this? I can't find it anywhere.