Playback scroll lost

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:43 pm

After switching to Studio View then back to Page View, the playback scroll bar got lost. Now, when I play the 20 page document, page one remains in view. Any way to get Finale to scroll the document during playback?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:03 pm

Doesn't happen to me. Try restarting Finale or rebooting.

Djard

Post by Djard » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:01 pm

Thanks for responding.

I tired to exit the document by clicking on "x" at upper right; but "Finale stopped responding," which is a frequent problem that I encounter. The latter occurs mostly when forget to go to File -> Close -> Exit. Restarting Finale failed, but a reboot of my system did the trick, so I figure Finale does not interface with Win 10 Pro very well. None of my other sophisticated programs have exit problems.

When I re-opened the document in which playback scrolling was lost, only one instrument out of the 12 played back. I checked the mixer, and none were muted. To re-enable Finale silenced instruments to play back, I change each to a new one in the same family, play a couple of measures then change the instrument back again to the one I want: this need is time-consuming when scoring for orchestra.

Also, about two times out of five, Finale automatically applies reverb to instruments after a document is closed and re-opened a week or so later. Why MakeMusic sets the default Garitan ambience to full reverb is a mystery to me.

As a hostage to Finale, I better not express my opinion of this wonderful but very unstable software. If cars were built at the same standard as Finale, methinks every third vehicle on the road would be a tow-truck. I apologize for my attitude...just letting off some steam.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:14 pm

I've never had a problem closing the file by clicking on the X or closing Finale, but I don't use VST audio.

I recommend never letting your computer hibernate or sleep with Finale open. Always close it if you're going to be away from your computer for any length of time.

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:37 am

None of my movie editing programs handling multiple and complex tasks, or my DAW, have issues after sleeping.

I take frequent breaks when working to avoid desensitization to a score (I detect things that need editing best after some water has flowed under the bridge), but I will follow your recommendation to exit Finale between work shifts.

Thanks