Hiding brackets and clefs

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Slavicek
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Slavicek » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:20 pm

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if it were possible to hide the group brackets, bar lines and clefs at the very beginning of a staff (what I marked red in the attached screen shot). What is important is that hiding applies to one selected measure, not the whole document, and that the group names remain where they are.

I had two solutions in mind:
1) force cut staff with Staff Tool (but that removes instrument names as well, which could theoretically be replaced with Text Tool)
2) placing a simple white graphic over the desired area.

Any other thoughts? Clefs I could replace with an empty clef (using a Clef Tool), but somehow optimal would be a new Staff Style that somehow applies to brackets only without touching the instrument names.

Thank you in advance
forum.JPG
forum.JPG (46.57 KiB) Viewed 4308 times

Nick Mazuk
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Nick Mazuk » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Try using the "Force Hide Staff (Cutaway)" staff style.
Nick

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:12 pm

I too would think that's the best way. As for the instrument names, they will be misplaced in the left margin anyway, so creating them as Text Expressions is a good idea. Attach them to the measure after the cutaway one(s) and use Edit Expression Assignment to place them before that measure - if you you just put them there manually they won't show.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:05 pm

I'm not sure exactly what you want, but it can probably be achieved by moving the system margin. I've set the left barline here to invisible, applied blank notation and set the clefs in that one measure to blanks. If you want to get rid of the brace but not the group name, you can define another group for just that measure.
Attachments
0176.png
0176.png (60.13 KiB) Viewed 4203 times

wessmusic
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by wessmusic » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:08 pm

Three months ago I had to work on similar project and I decided to manage all groups and instrument names as text expressions.
On the linked PDF all green elements appear as expressions and all in red are smart shapes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4ees31bi3yxmyi/62.pdf?dl=0

As for the "hidden staff" setting – here they are:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 21.55.42.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 21.55.42.png (122.69 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
CUSTOM FONTS for FINALE and SIBELIUS
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f0udkrvb8xvh2zj/AAD_8mVlRzzr5mjZKI7BR7Kza?dl=0
________
Finale user since 1994

Slavicek

Post by Slavicek » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:47 pm

motet wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:05 pm
I'm not sure exactly what you want, but it can probably be achieved by moving the system margin. I've set the left barline here to invisible, applied blank notation and set the clefs in that one measure to blanks. If you want to get rid of the brace but not the group name, you can define another group for just that measure.
Thanks for the recommendation, but that unfortunately works with the full score only. In the case I wanted to displace the beginning of one staff only, while the others remain intact, I guess Cut Away Style + Text Tool tool is the only way to go.

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:04 pm

Slavicek wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:47 pm
I guess Cut Away Style + Text Tool tool is the only way to go.
Good idea. Perhaps not the only, but the best way so far. With measure-attached texts you won't have to worry about them showing or not. (As opposed to text expressions.)
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

Slavicek

Post by Slavicek » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:01 am

wessmusic wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:08 pm
Three months ago I had to work on similar project and I decided to manage all groups and instrument names as text expressions.
On the linked PDF all green elements appear as expressions and all in red are smart shapes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4ees31bi3yxmyi/62.pdf?dl=0

As for the "hidden staff" setting – here they are:
@wessmusic - it's been a while but would you mind me asking how did you create the bracket smart shape? My logic would be to use Custom Line Tool, approximate the bracket line weight, and add the 'hooks' at the beginning and the end as text. Was this your method? If so, which character did you use for the hooks?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:34 am

Slavicek wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:01 am
… @wessmusic - it's been a while but would you mind me asking how did you create the bracket smart shape? My logic would be to use Custom Line Tool, approximate the bracket line weight, and add the 'hooks' at the beginning and the end as text. Was this your method? If so, which character did you use for the hooks?
I am not Wess, but I think that I can answer this.

In the PDF from Wess the red Smart Shape brackets are used for wind instruments, percussion and strings.
(and the green Expression brackets are used for the choirs and the organ.

If I understand you correctly, your idea involves two tools, the Smart Shape Tool and the Text Tool - right?
So that you add the line with the Smart Shape Tool, and add the hooks with the Text Tool - right?

My guess is that Wess did it all with the Smart Shape Tool (= no Text Tool).

In the Smart Line Designer you can create a custom smart line that has a custom arrowhead at each end.
Attachments
SmartLineDesigner.jpg
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

wessmusic
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by wessmusic » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:23 pm

I sincerely apologize for only replying now, after 10 days, but as Peter Thomsen has shown, I used exactly the same method. As for the text elements for the hooks, in this case they are from a custom font called VintagePartirur and based on Score4's graphic-symbol library.
However, they could easily be replaced with similar ones from any SMuFL font. Here they are on slots U+E003 and U+E004.

If you prefer Sibelius fonts, "Opus Special" is an optimal alternative. I refrain from mentioning the exact unicodes here, because I notice that you are using Finale for Windows and I don't exclude the possibility that there may be some differences between the Mac and PC versions. However, in version 26.3 for Mac they appear on slots 161 and 162 (U-F0A1 and U-F0A2), but I assume that on PC it may be U-00B0 and U-00A2. (Avid use a very complex encoding system in their PC fonts).

Cheers,
Wess
CUSTOM FONTS for FINALE and SIBELIUS
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f0udkrvb8xvh2zj/AAD_8mVlRzzr5mjZKI7BR7Kza?dl=0
________
Finale user since 1994

Slavicek

Post by Slavicek » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:45 pm

Thank you both, Peter and Wess. I managed to do it in the meantime. Cheers