two chord name questions

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by lynndavidnewton » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:28 am

I've got two questions about chord names.

I've been working on transcribing a recording of a tune that's mostly voice and guitar (recorded 50 years ago). The score order is Voice, Guitar, Piano, and Bass Guitar. The piano and bass don't enter until the bridge following two verses, and then again later. (The recording was never really finished, but it's what I've got.

So I've got the voice and guitar 99% done, also the bass (and need to figure out some stuff in the piano). It seemed a good time to add chord names. So I blazed through that.

I added the chord names above the voice. The guitar part is fully written out, and the chord names are just for reference.

Imagine my surprise when I played it back and was treated to the addition of some kind of a quasi-string chorus playing the chords I'd just entered! Umm. Not what I want.

Question 1: How do I turn that off? (And why does it do that in the first place? I've done other tunes with chord names and that doesn't happen.)

Question 2: Is that the right place to put chord names, i.e. above the whole system? I certainly thought so. They aren't for the benefit of some specific instrument, only for the sake of some unlikely future arranger, to make his life easier.

I realize a lot of people have stuff going on over the next couple of days. No rush to respond. It's not an emergency.

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:39 am

Uncheck "Enable Chord Playback" under the Chord Tool.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:22 am

lynndavidnewton wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:28 am
… Question 2: Is that the right place to put chord names, i.e. above the whole system? I certainly thought so. They aren't for the benefit of some specific instrument, only for the sake of some unlikely future arranger, to make his life easier …
Above “the whole system”, or below “the whole system”.

What matters, is that the chord symbols do not collide with other items.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

lynndavidnewton

Post by lynndavidnewton » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:45 pm

OK, so I put them in the right place. I thought so.

Therefore, my remaining problem is figuring out how to turn the chords off on playback (without muting the voice part itself).

I'm guessing what I described as a string orchestra is actually the "voice" sound (which of course sounds nothing at all like a voice).

I'll work on figuring it out.

Thanks.

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:23 pm

In the score manager you can click the triangle beside a staff to expand it and see all its elements, including chords, which you can mute. Does that solve the problem?

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

lynndavidnewton

Post by lynndavidnewton » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Bill Stevens, I see where you are talking about, and it looks promising, though I don't know exactly how you mute any of those properties.

However, I've meanwhile discovered that the Chord menu has an Enable Chord Playback choice that was checked. I unchecked it, and voilà! the playing of chords stopped.

I did not notice that this had any corresponding effect on what I see in the Score Manager.

However, it solves my problem, so I'm done!

Thanks very much.

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:29 pm

You found your answer behind door number two, but for future reference, when you expand the staff in score manager you will see two columns, M and S. Click there to mute or solo.
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:24 pm

In the Score Manager, you can also change the chord playback to a different sound. So, on a vocal staff, you can have the chords play on a piano. I don't care for the chord symbol playback, but sometimes it is needed for proof reading.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

lynndavidnewton

Post by lynndavidnewton » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:11 pm

Bill Stevens. Thanks for that tip. That works, too.

Zuill, OK, that could be useful. In this case, I've got a full guitar part, which is where I pick the chord names from. But I suppose it could come in useful sometime.

All is well.