Problems with ScoreMerge

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tdlucas
Finale Version: Finale 2014 v27.0
Operating System: Windows

Post by tdlucas » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:39 am

I have tried and tried to merge four string quartet parts, but every time I do, many problems show up. Some of them very time consuming to fix, others unsolvable, like the one below. The cello part shows up with C clef staff at the top. When I try to delete the C clef staff by every method available, all the viola parts disappear. Other problems include notes hanging over into following measures and one time the viola part included a treble clef part above every staff, like the problem below. I am at a loss to know how to produce a clean set of parts.

I have read somewhere that it is better to make PDF parts first, then merge them. How do I merge PDF files without having to purchase an entire Adobe suite?
Attachments
Cello part.jpg
Cello part.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 1146 times

jmus
Finale Version: V26
Operating System: Windows

Post by jmus » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:54 am

My post about printing further down has a link to a free program called Cute PDF....download the bundle...it has another program with it that you will need called something like ghost script...install this first then the cute PDF writer. Very quick and easy....it then just shows up on your list of printers from any program that has printing facility, including Finale. Once you've created your movements in separate PDF files then have a look on the net for free, or very low cost PDF program that allows you to merge documents. There are quite a few around....guessing you want one you can download to your computer as opposed to an online one. When I get to my music PC later today I'll look up the shortlist I made when looking myself yesterday.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:03 pm

It looks like you are trying to merge separate parts. Do you have a score for each movement? It might be worth trying to merge the scores. Then each part will be complete, as a linked part within the score.

Desperately trying to come up with parts by combining PDFs is not the answer. Finale can deal with multi movement scores and parts just fine. It's a very easy process, but at first can be a little intimidating until you learn the ropes.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3