repeat playback

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by lynndavidnewton » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Finale 25, latest macOS.

How do I get a span of measures to play repeatedly on playback (e.g. for checking purposes)? I've tweaked a number of things in the Playback Controls without success. If I try to change any of the fields that seem to have to do with repeats, it asks me to enter a number between 1 and 1. Not much of an option there.

Amazingly. in all the years I've had Finale, I've never needed that option badly enough to have to stop to figure it out. Now I do. I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:36 pm

If I understand you correctly, you are having difficulties with the playback (not the layout) of repeats, right?
So that the repeats look right in the layout, but they do not play back, right?

Try this:

Select the measures to be repeated.
Repeat Tool.
Repeat menu > Create Simple Repeat

Both layout and playback will be correct.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259

Post by lynndavidnewton » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Thanks, but that's not what I meant.

I don't want to insert repeats into the music. I just want to select a selection, say a few beats, and have it play over and over in an infinite loop until I stop it when I play it back. This is for checking purposes. I'm doing a transcription of a piece of music I wrote over fifty years ago and don't have a written version of it. I need to listen to fragments repeatedly as I work.

I have the recording loaded in a free application called Audacity, which I can use to playback fragments of any size a thousand times if I need to in order to hear them.

I'm assuming that a similar feature is possible within Finale playback. (Otherwise, what are the fields on the Playback Controls window for that are marked Repeat [1] followed by a dropdown that as far as I can see allows only a checkmark that can't be unselected? There must be something about this I don't understand.)

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:25 pm

The problem you are running into in Playback Controls is that the number of repeats doesn't seem to work. You can press the space bar repeatedly for repeats, but I know that's not really what you want.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.