Trouble changing staff names in score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

birchwoodmusic
Finale Version: Finale v26
Operating System: Mac

Post by birchwoodmusic » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:05 pm

I've been trying to change staff names in a score built on a Finale 'chamber orchestra" template. It has instruments in groups, then listed at the beginning of the score as "1" and "2". I've used Score Manager to try to change the Full Names from numbers to instrument names, deleted instrument groups, made sure that the Auto-number style box is unchecked in Score Manager, etc. All to no avail. And actually, somehow, some of the individual woodwinds have full names (like "Flute 2"), but others refuse to change from single numbers. I've also tried to change names using the Staff Tool, but when I change one listing from a number to a name, all the other instruments with that number change to that instrument name! I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions? I just upgraded to Final v26, but this was also happening when I was working with Finale 2014.5. Thanks for any help you can give.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:19 pm

It should be do-able. Maybe post your file here so we can see what might be interfering with what you are trying to do.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

birchwoodmusic

Post by birchwoodmusic » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:29 pm

Here it is . . .
Attachments
Viadana La Bergamasca.musx
(202.47 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:31 pm

Make sure you have UNCHECKED Auto-number parts in Score Manager. You may have to do it for multiple changes.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

birchwoodmusic

Post by birchwoodmusic » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:46 pm

I've gone up and down the list. Auto-number style is unchecked for all instruments. When I check the auto-number box, the Names list in Score manager changes from some numbers and some names to ALL names. But nothing changes when I go back to the score.

RVS Lee
Finale Version: 25

Post by RVS Lee » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi -
I'm not sure which of two options you're looking for...

A) 1
Flute

For this option - auto-number off; Instrument name (and abbr. name) should be the number; group name (and abbr. name) should be the instrument name; if you're planning to optimize systems (potentially hiding, say, Flute 2 but showing Flute 1) you'll want to position the abbreviated group name slightly to the left so that it doesn't overlap the staff name (number.)

B) Flute 1
Flute 2

For this, it's easiest to just use the instrument as the staff name, allow auto-numbering. If you create a bracket for each instrument group, leave the group name blank.

One of the things that was complicating the file you sent was that some staves used alternate staff styles which overrode your choices in Score manager. I'd start be clearing them. You can of course use special staff styles to deal with graphic issues and for special cases (if you combine 1 & 2 on the same staff for one or two systems, for instance.) But, I would wait to use staff styles until you're done laying out your pages.

Hope this is somewhat clearer than mud.

RVSL

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:18 pm

As RVS Lee says, looks like you've got staff styles in the first measure which override the names specified in the score manager. Remove the staff styles and you're good to go.
Attachments
0190.png
0190.png (167.14 KiB) Viewed 2900 times

birchwoodmusic

Post by birchwoodmusic » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:37 am

It looks like the staff styles issue was the problem. I have no experience with staff styles, and I have to admit, I have no idea what is happening when I "clear" the staff styles. I was attempting to read a bit in the user manual about staff styles, but I'll have to do more thinking on all this. Is there a document or posting or video you could suggest which would help me to begin to understand this topic? Thanks for all your help!
Vinny Fuerst

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:18 am

One way is to, when in the Staff Tool, select the bar above the staff representing the Staff Style, an press Delete.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."