Missing buttons on simple entry palette

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

s_bender
Finale Version: Allegro
Operating System: Windows

Post by s_bender » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:25 am

Hey folks! I'm hoping very much that someone can help! I just bought a new version of Finale Allegro and have been struggling to figure it out. Specifically, certain aspects of it are missing. I did figure out how to have most of the palettes displayed (simple entry rests, thank you!!!), but on my regular simple entry palette, I'm missing a few of the buttons, notably the tie, tuplet, and grace note ones. The control+T/shift+T option doesn't seem to work for me, or else if I keyboard smash it in FinaleRage (tm!), then sometimes it comes on and gets stuck on and won't turn off again. I'm currently writing a cello line into a piece that has a crapload of ties in it and it's going to be VERY irritating if I have to painstakingly draw them all in by hand once it's printed because my brand new software won't provide me with a tie option! HELP?????

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:51 am

T is normally used to tie a note; enter the note, then press T to set up a tie to the next note. Shift-T ties backwards but is much less used. As far as I know, Ctrl-T does nothing, which may explain why nothing is happening for you.

I don't know from Allegro. In the full Finale you can customize the palette from the Window menu. But using the palette and the mouse is just going to slow you down. Learn the keystrokes instead--well worth the effort.

s_bender

Post by s_bender » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:32 am

In the online Finale user guide, it says to use control + T... the shift + T is now working after I turned my laptop off and on again, so there's that, at least. How do I learn the keystrokes? Is there a guide somewhere? My software came as an online download, whereas last time I bought a disc (old school!) and the user manual came with it. With this, I got nothing!

motet

Post by motet » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:35 am

I was under the impression that Allegro was long gone. What version do you have?

The various commands on the Simple Entry menu should show their keyboard equivalents; at least, they do in Finale.

Do you have a Help menu? That should lead to the manual.

s_bender

Post by s_bender » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:20 pm

No, it's a new version that just came out. The help button takes me to the online user manual, which says to just use the button on the simple entry palette - hence my question, as my palette is specifically missing the ties, tuplet, and grace note buttons. This is my entire reason for asking this question here!

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:31 pm

Finale Allegro hasn't been offered since 2007. Where did you download this from? It sounds like you have an illegal cracked version.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:24 pm

Can you show us a screen shot of what your Simple Entry palette looks like?

And as everyone says, there is no new Allegro.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

motet

Post by motet » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:06 pm

What does it say under Help/About?