recover

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

musicus
Finale Version: Finale v26
Operating System: Mac

Post by musicus » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:24 pm

I seem to be missing a Finale file on my Mac computer. Is there a
special way to find it other than "search?"

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:05 am

Not that I know of...
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:45 am

“Search” Is a Spotlight feature. Unfortunately, it tries to fine everything on the internet, too. There’s every chance it won’t locate files on your Mac. It rarely does on mine. It also won’t show the path to a file which I find annoying.

Use “Find” in the Finder menu instead. It can find everything on a Mac. Sometimes you need to filter the search and that can be difficult. There are times when Find is a time consuming PIA so...

There are utilities that are user friendly and will pull up everything without filtering. Most are shareware though some are cheapware —there may be freeware out there as well. One I used was called FindFile but haven’t used it lately because it wasn’t updated to 64 bit (that may have changed).
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:42 am

MikeHalloran wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:45 am
“Search” Is a Spotlight feature. Unfortunately, it tries to fine everything on the internet, too. There’s every chance it won’t locate files on your Mac. It rarely does on mine. It also won’t show the path to a file which I find annoying …
To search for files on my Mac I use Spotlight all the time.
When I hit ⌘I, it shows me a File Info window with the path (to the selected search result).
Am I missing something?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:40 am

musicus wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:24 pm
Here's Apple's help pages for filtering searches:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/m ... h15155/mac

If it doesn't show up, you'll need to search in your Time Machine backup.
MikeHalloran wrote:
“Search” Is a Spotlight feature. Unfortunately, it tries to fine everything on the internet, too. There’s every chance it won’t locate files on your Mac. It rarely does on mine. It also won’t show the path to a file which I find annoying.
Use “Find” in the Finder menu instead. It can find everything on a Mac.
Command Space and "Find" in Finder are both part of Spotlight. The former it gives you the most recent 5 results, and there's a link at the bottom to "Show All in Finder", which gives you all the results and options for filtering.

You can display the path to a file by holding Command down on the selected item in Spotlight. You can turn off "Spotlight Suggestions" to remove internet results. If you're not getting good results you may need to reindex the database.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:32 am

Look in the Documents folder on your hard drive. If you did a default installation of Finale, there should be a folder called "Finale Files" there. Inside this folder is a folder called "Backups". All of your backups should be in there.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:55 am

BuonTempi wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:40 am
musicus wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:24 pm
Here's Apple's help pages for filtering searches:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/m ... h15155/mac

If it doesn't show up, you'll need to search in your Time Machine backup.
MikeHalloran wrote:
Use “Find” in the Finder menu instead. It can find everything on a Mac.
Command Space and "Find" in Finder are both part of Spotlight. The former it gives you the most recent 5 results, and there's a link at the bottom to "Show All in Finder", which gives you all the results and options for filtering.

You can display the path to a file by holding Command down on the selected item in Spotlight. You can turn off "Spotlight Suggestions" to remove internet results. If you're not getting good results you may need to reindex the database.
Have you actually tried any of this?

I'm quite fine with what I posted. Without going into my music industry day job, it's mostly research and finding everything from documents to references, quite a bit of it accumulated over 30 years and sitting on my Mac, is a daily, sometimes hourly occurrence. With a couple TB of storage to search, I am quite familiar with how to find things and do it quickly.

Having reread this thread, I'm pretty certain that I would not have to do a Time Machine search. I could write a few more pages on this subject (the other part of my job) but I'll spare everybody.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro