Need help with transposition-HELP!!

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

musicisgrand
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by musicisgrand » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:23 am

I am a very infrequent Finale user. Use it mainly to simply songs for a piano playing grandchild.

I have a neighbor who has an elementary clarinet player and father who plays alto e flat sax. I naively agreed to find them a duet (to match a solo the child clarinetist had from school) as a special "daughter and father" thing they could do.

I found two arrangements on sheetmusicplus and have downloaded them. They are both pdf.

My adobe will not let me export to xml or tiff, maybe the copyright on the pdf is blocking it? The sheetmusicplus website will not let me download in a different format :(

Anyway, I have a hubby undergoing open heart surgery on Friday and am stressed to the max.

I would be happy to pay someone to put these into finale and transpose them correctly...The clarinet pdf (melody) is in G and the child's version is in D so both the clarinet and alto sax need to be changed.

Pls contact if you can help. I would REALLY appreciate it. I want to honor my commitment to my neighbor. Thanks much! vickie
Last edited by musicisgrand on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:57 am

Vickie, please edit your post remove your email address!

You would need a special program like SmartScore or another similar app to do that. Finale can no longer do it, since 2012 or 2014.

I don’t mind doing it, but I’m not an expert on transposition, like many of the people here.

So I ask the forum: As far as I know, the clarinet is a Bb instrument, so the music there notated in G would be concert pitch F, right? So the Eb sax should be in D? So both parts are correct, as she has them?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

RMK
Finale Version: 25.2

Post by RMK » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:39 pm

Both parts are indeed correct. No further transposition needed.

miker

Post by miker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:25 pm

Thank you! I'm still learning...
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

musicisgrand

Post by musicisgrand » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:35 pm

Thanks for the replies and edit post info.

I haven't been clear...

The child's original clarinet music is in D (concert c). The arrangement I purchased is in G. So it needs to be transposed to D for her (she's a beginner and I'm trying to avoid her having to learn it in a different key.

Likewise, the alto sax part would need to be transposed to work with her new transposed arrangement in D.

Hope that clarifies.

We're at hospital today in pre-testing so I'll keep trying to check the forum

Thanks to all.
vickie

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:40 pm

What are the lowest notes in both parts the arrangement? There is the issue of instrument range.

miker

Post by miker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:40 pm

So I had them backwards. No problem, I can still do them as soon as the experts teach me what I need to know.

I sent you an email so you could send me the files. Did you get it?

Good luck with the husband's surgery.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

musicisgrand

Post by musicisgrand » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:27 am

Thank you so much to everyone that posted and emailed me with help on the Whole New World transposition for my 5th grade neighbor.

I have it in my hand, printed and ready to hand to my neighbor

Thank you so much for all of your kindness and also for all of the well wishes for my husband's surgery tomorrow

Vickie