Weird backwards ties

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:43 pm

Can anyone tell me why in m. 11, piano left hand, the ties are going the wrong direction—and how I can fix them? I entered them exactly as I did in measures 10 and 12, and those look exactly as I want them to. Why wouldn't they look the same?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:31 pm

You forgot to attach your file.

Make sure the notes you want to tie are in the same layer. First try deleting the backward ties and recreating them. As a last resort, the tie tool will allow you to drag them backwards, but I would try to find out what's wrong first.

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:54 am

motet wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:31 pm
You forgot to attach your file.

Make sure the notes you want to tie are in the same layer. First try deleting the backward ties and recreating them. As a last resort, the tie tool will allow you to drag them backwards, but I would try to find out what's wrong first.
Thanks! I had done all of those things, but finally, I just deleted the notes and reentered them, and then it was fine. I am relieved to get it fixed!

By the way, the ties are not meant to tie anything but to be indicators of "lv". It's one of my pet peeves with Finale that it has no really good way to do that, and even worse, if you have a piano arpeggio and want each of the notes to tie to a chord on, say, the next beat or the next downbeat, it's almost impossible to do this in a way that is a) easy and b) looks neat. Yet, this notational phenomenon happens all of the time in piano music from at least the 19th c. on.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:30 am

Using ties for l.v. should work OK. I agree that the arpeggio-tie situation is tedious, and it doesn't seem to survive respacing. Using guides might help, though "snap to guides" doesn't seem to work for tie ends.