Noise in Export

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jamesadrian
Finale Version: 25.4.0.155
Operating System: Mac

Post by jamesadrian » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:05 pm

I have a music file that plays just fine through my earphones, but when I export it either to .aiff or to .wav, the higher voices of strings have noise in them. Converting .aiff to mp3 in iTunes, and conveting either format to .mp3 in third-party converters, there is real and disturbing noise in these voices.

It seems as though the export function is the source of this noise because when I play the .musx file in finale, it sounds fine.

Has anybody else had this problem. I did not until recently.

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian

jamesadrian

Post by jamesadrian » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:48 am

I have since found that this eight voice piece is noisy only when the oboe is not playing alone. Whenever another voice is playing at the same time as the oboe, noise is created.

This happens when smartmusic softsynth is used as the sound for the oboe. The other sounds like the Garritan one, does not produce noise when accompanied, but none of them are loud like the smartmusic softsynth.

This noise exists only in the output of the export function. There is no noise in the musx file on playback within Finale.

If I could get the Garritan choice to be much louder, that would be a solution.

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian

sandalwood
Finale Version: 2014.5- W10
Operating System: Windows

Post by sandalwood » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:36 am

Hi Adrian,

I'm assuming you've already raised the volume in the Score Manager and in the Banks and Effects Dialog Box...

Copy your Oboe to Layer 2 (and 3...) on the staff.

I hope this solves the problem.

jamesadrian

Post by jamesadrian » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:39 pm

sandalwood,

Thank you for this message. Reducing the volume in the Banks and Effects Dialog Box is all I had to do.

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
Jim Adrian
Finale 27
Mac OS version 10.13.6