Strange behaviour of staff name…

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Andreo Basisto
Finale Version: 2011
Operating System: Windows

Post by Andreo Basisto » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:46 pm

strange text happening.mus
(122.05 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
If you open the attached file in page view and click on Edit Staff Attributes > Staff Name in Score, you will see that the text box on the blank page opposite has ‘taken over’ the staff name. All I’ve done is create the text box. Why is this happening and what can I do to stop it?

Many thanks!

Andreo Basisto

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:37 pm

I opened your file in Finale 2011 and don't see a blank page. There are no staff names assigned, but assigning them seems normal. Not sure what you mean by "Edit Staff Attributes > Staff Name in Score".

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:50 pm

Andreo Basisto,

If I understand you correctly, the text block has become “linked” to the Staff Name:
Change the Staff Name, and the contents in the text block changes too.

An idea:

Create yet another text block.
If that new text is not “linked” to the Staff Name, then use that text block instead, and delete the “linked” text block.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Andreo Basisto

Post by Andreo Basisto » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:20 pm

Greetings Peter

Many thanks for your suggestion which worked the second time I tried it. Perhaps I didn’t delete items in the correct order at first? This is a ‘Finale Workaround’, I suppose and still doesn’t explain why it’s happening. It’s fairly recent behaviour – perhaps it first happened towards the end of last year.

I wonder if the cause is something to do with options under staff attributes? Today, I wanted to give a name to the 5th stave in a file and the name copied over to the second stave as well!

Motet – thank you for having a look at my file. I’m not sure why you couldn’t see the blank page. It’s page 1 of the file and page 2 is the empty staves. Finale does open the file at page 2 initially. By "Edit Staff Attributes > Staff Name in Score", I was saying that clicking Staff Name in Score brings up the word from the text block on page 1 as a name of the staff.

Andreo

motet

Post by motet » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:57 pm

I think you probably attached the wrong file. It's 23 pages of what looks like boilerplate. No blank pages.

"Staff name in score" is just a checkbox, but all's well that ends well.

Andreo Basisto

Post by Andreo Basisto » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:47 pm

Greetings Motet!

Apologies! It seems you are quite right and I had posted the wrong file. I guess I hadn't saved the changes made, before posting.

The file that should have appeared (without Peter's correction) is attached.

And I'm pleased to report that I've used Peter's workaround to cure the previously mentioned behavour with the staff name repeating itself from staff 5 to staff 2. I created an extra staff, named it, deleted staff 5 and then deleted the name from staff 2. Lots of extra unnecessary work, though...

Andreo
Attachments
strange text happening.mus
(110.45 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

motet

Post by motet » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:39 pm

I see what you mean now--bizarre! If I open your file in a later version, the problem persists.

Probably the file is corrupt. If you're copying your boilerplate when you make a new piece, your probably perpetuating matters, so you might want to redo that file from scratch.

I seem to recall long ago Zuill finding an example of a file which retained old text even after the text was deleted, eventually leading to odd behavior. Perhaps he will remember. Just a wild guess, but if your file has a long legacy, maybe that's what's going on.

Andreo Basisto

Post by Andreo Basisto » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:13 pm

Thanks, Motet

Yes, I'll do as you suggest and will create a new file to replace my working, every-day 'boilerplate'.

Andreo Basisto