Cannot change an instrument in Score Manager

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:20 pm

After "upgrading" Finale from v2012 (x86) to v26 (x64), I converted all my .mus files to .musx. Now, if I edit a score and wish to change an instrument, like Horn if F to Synth Brass--in Score Manager--I am unable to do so. The instrument is locked.

Now if I highlight the entire staff and then go into Utilities, I am able to successfully change the instrument therein. Is the problem I describe a bug or is there a setting somewhere to allow an instrument change in Score Manager?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:12 pm

Changing from one staff instrument to a two staff instrument is no doable the normal way. there are workarounds, but how you do it depends on what you want.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Djard

Post by Djard » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:14 am

As far as I know, changing from English Horn to Synth Brass does not involve changing from one clef to two. To rule out a defective document, I tried changing a variety of instruments in a default document, but without success. I sent MakeMusic three files it requested: MsInfo, DxDiag, and Plogue's log file.

BTW, MakeMusic confirmed that in v26, vibrato is erroneously applied to Electric Bass (Pick). The workaround is to change the staff name from Bass to Bass Guitar then turn the mod. wheel down in Aria Player.

I urged management to take a break from adding more features and work on stabilizing the program. I'm not holding my breath.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:39 pm

I was wrong. I checked it out and had no problem changing to Synth Brass. By the way, what I was talking about is not with changing an instrument in the Score Manager, but changing in the score part way through. Sorry about the confusion.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:57 am

I think I discovered the problem. I use dual monitors. When I moved Score Manager back to monitor #1, I was able to change instruments. I experienced no such problem when using v2012.

But thanks for responding.