Parts, PDFs, & File Name Prefixes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

apkyburz
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)
Operating System: Mac

Post by apkyburz » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:02 pm

Hi Forum,

On MacOS, is there a way to add a number-prefix when saving parts as PDF files?

E.g.:

1 - Wagner - Siegfried_Act_2 - Piccolo.pdf
2 - Wagner - Siegfried_Act_2 - Flute.pdf
xy - Wagner - Siegfried_Act_2 - Contrabass.pdf

Thanks,
apkyburz

Nick Mazuk
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Nick Mazuk » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:18 am

Not that I know of.

Why would you like to add the number-prefix? Perhaps something else is possible that will still solve your problem.
Nick

RMK
Finale Version: 25.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by RMK » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:39 pm

Numbers are helpful in order to preserve score order.

I put them in manually. For example: 001_Mozart_Symphony No.38_Flute 1

Skjalg
Finale Version: 26

Post by Skjalg » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:54 pm

When I want to save part PDFs in score order, I use a program called PDFwriter. It adds job numbers as prefix to each file, thus all PDF parts appear in score order in Finder.
Finale26
Mac High Sierra
Finale user since 1995

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5

Post by HaraldS » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:37 am

I wrote myself an Autohotkey script to solve that issue. I do lead two jazz orchestras and thus have the urgent need to have fast access to nearly 1000 parts and scores in PDF format, which is only possible using strict naming conventions. To check completeness, it's necessary to have the files in score order in the folder, so I do use a similar number style. Regardless whether a chart comes from scanning or is exported from Finale, I run it through my script to get this style of naming convention:
Cantaloupe Island - 00 - Score
Cantaloupe Island - 01 - Alto Sax 1
Cantaloupe Island - 02 - Alto Sax 2
Cantaloupe Island - 03 - Tenor Sax 1
Cantaloupe Island - 04 - Tenor Sax 2
Cantaloupe Island - 05 - Baritone Sax
Cantaloupe Island - 06 - Trumpet 1
Cantaloupe Island - 07 - Trumpet 2
Cantaloupe Island - 08 - Trumpet 3
Cantaloupe Island - 09 - Trumpet 4
Cantaloupe Island - 10 - Trombone 1
Cantaloupe Island - 11 - Trombone 2
Cantaloupe Island - 12 - Trombone 3
Cantaloupe Island - 13 - Trombone 4
Cantaloupe Island - 14 - Piano
Cantaloupe Island - 15 - Guitar
Cantaloupe Island - 16 - Bass
Cantaloupe Island - 17 - Drums
Cantaloupe Island - 20 - Flute

Autohotkey only exists on Windows, though.

To answer the original poster's question, this result is possible in Finale, but would be quite complicated because you would need to name your staves accordingly. Writing a JWLua script which does proper PDF export with programmable naming conventions is still on my bucket list.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:58 pm

HaraldS wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:37 am
I wrote myself an Autohotkey script to solve that issue. I do lead two jazz orchestras and thus have the urgent need to have fast access to nearly 1000 parts and scores in PDF format, which is only possible using strict naming conventions. To check completeness, it's necessary to have the files in score order in the folder, so I do use a similar number style. Regardless whether a chart comes from scanning or is exported from Finale, I run it through my script to get this style of naming convention:
Genau Harald, you hit the nail on the head.

You say you use Autohotkey, now I'm pretty proficient in the counterpart for MacOS: Keyboard Maestro.

I was already playing with the thought of writing a macro for it. If you have a minute, could you quickly explain the outline of your script or share a screen-shot?

That would be much appreciated,

Best

HaraldS

Post by HaraldS » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:21 pm

apkyburz wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:58 pm
If you have a minute, could you quickly explain the outline of your script or share a screen-shot?
That would be much appreciated,
Best
Certainly. My script takes PDF files via drag-and-drop, concatenates them and saves them. Here's a screenshot, it's the one in the red box:
MakeBigBandPDFWindow.png
The right window is a Windows Explorer window with the folder open from where I drag one or multiple PDF files. I drop them in my script's GUI, the red-boxed window on the left. I can drag one or more pdf files and drop them in a row in the table, they get sorted alphabetically. E.g., in the line "- 00 - score" , I dropped the three files g-desk-024.pdf, g-desk-025.pdf and g-desk-026.pdf.
I would still have to enter the chart's name in the "Name des Stückes" edit field in the upper left corner.
When I click "Make PDF" in the lower left corner, the script will run through all rows of the table. If will concatenate all PDF files dropped within one row and save them in one new PDF file under a new filename which consists of the chart's name and the instrument's name.

Now, the green box in the upper right corner could be a script of its own. It's purpose is editing individual PDF files. It has no connection with the other functionality of connecting and renaming multiple PDF files. It's just functionality I need randomly and so I did put it in the same window. If a file is dragged and dropped into the edit field in the green box, this PDF file can be rotated or can be split in multiple PDF files, each new file containing a single page of the original PDF.

Actually, my script needs pdftk server to be installed. This is a powerful command line tool. Strictly speaking, my script just gathers information, puts together a neat command line and calls pdftk, which does the real work.

For what's it worth, I added the script MakeBigBandPDF - ListView.zip below.

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:02 am

Ja, perfekt! Thanks Harald, I'll take a look at it.

bakkumd
Finale Version: 25, 26, 27

Post by bakkumd » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:06 am

Hello apkyburz,

I am uploading this Keyboard Maestro macro for you to try, and look at to possibly refine (it's rough).

It is activated by pressing "`" (the key just to the left of the "1" key).

Before you press "`", know how many parts you wish to export. The macro will ask you to enter that number when you begin.

At that point, the macro will cycle through every part (up to the number you entered), add a 2 digit number at the front of the exported file name, then move the cursor to the right and wait for you to enter the part name.

Enter the name quickly, then click "OK". I say quickly because I've had to enter some pauses - sometimes they wait, other times they don't and the macro cancels itself. (I'm still learning Keyboard Maestro...)

Anyway - it should then cycle to the next part - add a 2 digit number (one larger than the previous), and then ask you to enter the part name. Click "OK" and the cycle continues as many times as the number you originally entered.

I'm used to it - so it works for me and I can export a full score worth of 30+ parts in about 2 minutes - perfectly numbered and named. (A feature that Finale should have added years ago...)

I'm posting it so you can possibly (hopefully) improve it - or at least make it a little more bulletproof.

I would recommend the first time you try it to enter a low number to see how it works. I always tested it with the number "3". It's not necessary to export every part each time the macro is tested and will save time.

Let me know if you are able to get it to work and or improve it even.

Also - If you decide you don't like Keyboard Maestro, you could also simply rename all of your parts after exporting them via the file rename right click feature in the MacOS Finder. It can add sequential numbers, and replace (change) text in all currently selected file names.

Good Luck!
Export all Parts to PDF.kmmacros.zip
Finale 25, 26, 27, Patterson Plug-ins, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Perfect Layout Gold, Keyboard Maestro, Adobe CS6 - CC, MacOS Mojave through Monterey. NotePerformer 3, Dorico 4, Sibelius Ultimate.

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:33 am

bakkumd wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:06 am
Hello apkyburz,

I am uploading this Keyboard Maestro macro for you to try, and look at to possibly refine (it's rough).

It is activated by pressing "`" (the key just to the left of the "1" key).

Before you press "`", know how many parts you wish to export. The macro will ask you to enter that number when you begin.

At that point, the macro will cycle through every part (up to the number you entered), add a 2 digit number at the front of the exported file name, then move the cursor to the right and wait for you to enter the part name.

Enter the name quickly, then click "OK". I say quickly because I've had to enter some pauses - sometimes they wait, other times they don't and the macro cancels itself. (I'm still learning Keyboard Maestro...)

Anyway - it should then cycle to the next part - add a 2 digit number (one larger than the previous), and then ask you to enter the part name. Click "OK" and the cycle continues as many times as the number you originally entered.

I'm used to it - so it works for me and I can export a full score worth of 30+ parts in about 2 minutes - perfectly numbered and named. (A feature that Finale should have added years ago...)

I'm posting it so you can possibly (hopefully) improve it - or at least make it a little more bulletproof.

I would recommend the first time you try it to enter a low number to see how it works. I always tested it with the number "3". It's not necessary to export every part each time the macro is tested and will save time.

Let me know if you are able to get it to work and or improve it even.

Also - If you decide you don't like Keyboard Maestro, you could also simply rename all of your parts after exporting them via the file rename right click feature in the MacOS Finder. It can add sequential numbers, and replace (change) text in all currently selected file names.

Good Luck!

Export all Parts to PDF.kmmacros.zip
Hi Bakkumd,

Absolutely stellar! Give me a couple days, I might have a little grease for this beaut.

Best,
A.P.

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:58 am

bakkumd wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:06 am
Hello apkyburz,

Hi bakkumd,

I took your input and refined the macro a bit.

Part name doesn't need to be typed anymore, all automatic!
Also, export is now PDF, not JPEG.
The macro will find the folder where the finale file is located and save the parts in there.

Try it on your end and tell me how it works.

Best,

bakkumd

Post by bakkumd » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Hello apkyburz,

I tried your revised macro - works as you describe - bravo!

Is it possible to still automate the process with auto-naming the parts when using the menu item GRAPHICS > EXPORT PAGES instead of print-to-pdf?

I ask because using the "print to PDF" option does not produce a true black PDF, and does not print a true black image on my commercial printers or when importing to page layout programs for final imposing for booklets or multi page, double sided 2-up parts. (the true black thing has been yet another issue with Finale for years - and debated on every Finale forum just as long...)

Also - your version uses the existing printer page size/setup (from the last printed page to which ever printer is active. Anyone using different page sizes for score and parts would need to set that up prior to running the macro. For example - the score on my test document is 11x17", and the parts are 9x12" - yet the PDF's were saved out as 8.5x11" as that was the last size I had printed prior to running the macro.

Also - my original macro using the GRAPHICS > EXPORT PAGES menu item did save as PDF files for me. I'm guessing since I didn't specify that popup item and never changed it to jpeg, it opens with PDF selected. If your previous export was to jpeg - it would come up with that as the default. (I'm guessing...)

Either way - just looking at the structure of your edits to the macro makes me wonder if it's possible to use the EXPORT PAGES menu function instead of the print-to-pdf function...

Thoughts?
(and THANKS for your work on this!!)
Finale 25, 26, 27, Patterson Plug-ins, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Perfect Layout Gold, Keyboard Maestro, Adobe CS6 - CC, MacOS Mojave through Monterey. NotePerformer 3, Dorico 4, Sibelius Ultimate.

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:17 am

bakkumd wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:55 pm
Hello apkyburz,

Thank you.
bakkumd wrote:
I ask because using the "print to PDF" option does not produce a true black PDF, and does not print a true black image on my commercial printers or when importing to page layout programs for final imposing for booklets or multi page, double sided 2-up parts.
I had no idea that that is even a thing. Since I will also profit from this, I'll gladly amend it.
bakkumd wrote:
Also - your version uses the existing printer page size/setup (from the last printed page to which ever printer is active. Anyone using different page sizes for score and parts would need to set that up prior to running the macro. For example - the score on my test document is 11x17", and the parts are 9x12" - yet the PDF's were saved out as 8.5x11" as that was the last size I had printed prior to running the macro.
That is correct. In the macro I kept for myself, I have a step that chooses letter size.

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:25 am

bakkumd wrote:
Hello apkyburz,

Is it possible to still automate the process with auto-naming the parts when using the menu item GRAPHICS > EXPORT PAGES instead of print-to-pdf?
Hi again,

So, here's the revised version going through the Graphics Tool.

The macro gets the part name from the "Manage Parts" window, since that seems to me what we'll want the file name to be.

Also, if you check in the "Macro Prep" group on the very top, you see that there is a disabled group called, "Modify File Path". In this group, you can modify the variable "finalefolder". This variable specifies what folder the parts are going to be saved in. Since you seem to be more on the professional side, I reckon you'd like the parts to be saved in their designated folder (ProjectXY/*PDF/parts/, in my case).
I left you my own preferences for the adjustment to your liking.

Best,

bakkumd

Post by bakkumd » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:48 am

apkyburz wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:25 am
So, here's the revised version going through the Graphics Tool.

The macro gets the part name from the "Manage Parts" window, since that seems to me what we'll want the file name to be.
This revision is fantastic! I just exported 32 true black parts from a full score, with correct page size, into the original document's folder with auto numbering and auto part naming in less than three minutes and with only 3 mouse clicks! WOW! (iMac Pro - Mojave - Finale 26.2)

So now to ask for the moon...
Would it be possible to incorporate the ability for the macro to create a new folder in the original document's location automatically titled with the word "Parts" - followed by a date/time stamp each time the macro is run? example: "Parts 20200227 01:45PM", then proceed to save the newly created parts into this new folder? (Your Keyboard Maestro skills are beyond anything I'm used to doing...)

Again - simply fantastic!!!

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:56 pm

bakkumd wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:48 am

This revision is fantastic! I just exported 32 true black parts from a full score, with correct page size, into the original document's folder with auto numbering and auto part naming in less than three minutes and with only 3 mouse clicks! WOW! (iMac Pro - Mojave - Finale 26.2)

So now to ask for the moon...
Would it be possible to incorporate the ability for the macro to create a new folder in the original document's location automatically titled with the word "Parts" - followed by a date/time stamp each time the macro is run? example: "Parts 20200227 01:45PM", then proceed to save the newly created parts into this new folder? (Your Keyboard Maestro skills are beyond anything I'm used to doing...)

Again - simply fantastic!!!
Thank you. Yes, that macro might save you a bit of time, and I'm happy I finally have a way to number my parts.

About your lunar request, yes, that is certainly possible, and with timestamp, but I'll refer you to the Keyboard-Maestro forum for this one.

Best,

HaraldS

Post by HaraldS » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:54 pm

Just curious: does your macro number the parts from the top?
If yes, parts will get different numbers in different pieces, e.g. if you have two flutes in piece #1 and three flutes in piece 2, the Oboe 1 will become number 3 in the first case and number 4 in the second.
Is that acceptable for your purpose? To be more precise: is the numbering solely for ordering purposes or should it also give a hint to the instrument?
For me, e.g. part number #4 is always Tenor Sax 2 which makes it easier to find all such parts.

bakkumd

Post by bakkumd » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:24 pm

HaraldS wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:54 pm
Just curious: does your macro number the parts from the top?
Yes - it numbers from the top down. In my production work, the important thing is score order and avoiding the "print to PDF" option and avoiding printing directly from Finale; so having oboe as "03" every time doesn't matter. Most projects I work with vary in instrumentation so preserving a number with a part isn't possible. Some scores might have 32 parts - others 8, etc.

I could definitely see in a jazz ensemble, where each chart might be scored the same - the numbers could correlate to a specific instrument as you indicate. I'm not needing that level of organization. What I will use this macro for is exporting true black PDF files for additional processing. Exporting every individual part as a PDF, one at a time, is just awful. This macro starts the job in 3 mouse clicks - I then sit back and watch. Less than 3 minutes later - all done.

Thanks again to FinaleForum member apkyburz for his expertise with coding the macro. It really works great!

Ebelvin
Finale Version: 26.2.2

Post by Ebelvin » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:43 pm

Just came across this thread and thought I’d add my solution to the mix as well. I needed a tool that would number orchestra parts whether I exported them myself or received them from someone else. I ended up coding a simple utility that you can drag a list of files into and it automatically sorts them into conventional score order. If you’re exporting PDFs from Finale, you can also sort by “time created” and that should get you there as well. You can check it out and download from here (Mac only for now):
https://ericbelvin.com/posts/file-numbering-app/
Would love to know if this is helpful, and if there are ways it could be better.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:57 pm

Mac users : take a look at Namemangler. Very powerful to rename files, with many functions, including numbering.
Read the Scoring Notes blog https://www.scoringnotes.com/news/20-of ... ny-tricks/
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua