adding new instruments changes display measure number setting!

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

RonG
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by RonG » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi - first time posting since the old boards closed down - I took a quick look around and didn't see this issue:

I am using Finale 26.2 . . . Mac OS 10.12.6 . . . was taking an old full orchestra template and simply adding a couple of new instruments in Score Manager/instrument List . . . and several staves where I had indicated to not display measure numbers suddenly had the measure numbers appear(!) . . . and a blank staff I have in the middle of the score set up to ONLY show measure numbers . . on that staff the display measure numbers got unchecked! (so reverse of the other staves).

The staves that now had the display checked were each "top of section" . . so Flute 1, Horn 1, Timpani, Violin 1, and several between Timp and Violin that are top staff of a group. I did look in the Measure Number tool, "show on top staff" is NOT checked . . oddly . . even though I have Flutes, Oboes, Clarinets, Bassoons each grouped in pairs and NOT all grouped together, Ob 1, Clar 1, Bsn 1 did NOT show measure numbers (nor Tpt 1, Trb 1) . . it's almost like the software knows woodwinds and brass.(?)

Is there some setting "show measure number at top of groups" that defaults back on when new instruments are added? Or is there another solution I am stupidly missing? Long-time Finale user but fairly new to F26 . . I never had this behavior in F25 or 2014 or earlier. I also tried adding instruments to several other old templates, created variously between F2012, 2014, and even one last year in 26 . . same behavior every time.

Help!
RonG
F26, 25, 2014.5
Mac OS 10.12.6

RonG
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by RonG » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:18 pm

Sorry to answer my own question . . was talking with a Finale-friend about this after I posted . . he said there IS one more preference (he thinks new in 26 although might have been in 25) under Preferences/Edit/Automatic Setting . .called Automatic Instrument Family Measure Numbers & Endings & Text Repeats! Unchecked box, issue resolved!

d'oh! :oops:
RonG
F26, 25, 2014.5
Mac OS 10.12.6