hyperscribe

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

musicus
Finale Version: Finale v26
Operating System: Mac

Post by musicus » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:53 pm

I am going to ask a probably very stupid question. I have always avoided recording into Hyperscribe and instead chose to input via Speedy. Is it possible to quantize something that was recorded in Hyperscribe to make it appear readable? See attached.
Attachments
test.mus
(40.9 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:10 pm

I think you need to play very precisely. I've always thought that "step-time" input (Speedy with a MIDI keyboard) is faster anyway. No need to way 4 beats to input a whole note!

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:31 pm

I have never found that improvising into Hyperscribe leads to useable results. However, it can be a very fast input method under other circumstances:

1. You must be a proficient keyboard player.
2. You must have the correct quantization settings, and you must work carefully, as motet mentioned.
3. You must work from a written out (actually or mentally) version of what you want to input. If it is a piano piece, you must input each hand separately.

If I have a well-engraved original to work from, then scanning and OCR is my the fastest input method. If from a well-edited manuscript, Hyperscribe.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:41 pm

I've found that to get decent results from HyperScribe, you must be a completely robotic keyplayer.

Also, depending on settings, it either cuts notes short at the barline, so any tied note will have rests on the new bar, or compensates the other way, always tying the last note of each bar onto a chord with the first note of the new bar.

You're better off using Logic or Cubase, with their more sophisticated quantisation options, and then importing MIDI or XML into Finale.

musicus
Finale Version: Finale v26

Post by musicus » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:53 am

I believe I qualify on # 1 and 3. Can you tell me how to access the quantization settings, briefly?
Hoping it's not too complicated. BTW I used to use a sequencer extensivley in the studios so I'm familiar with the procedure however that was with a different device (a Roland MC500 sequencer, which has since left the house...)
John Ruggero wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:31 pm
I have never found that improvising into Hyperscribe leads to useable results. However, it can be a very fast input method under other circumstances:

1. You must be a proficient keyboard player.
2. You must have the correct quantization settings, and you must work carefully, as motet mentioned.
3. You must work from a written out (actually or mentally) version of what you want to input. If it is a piano piece, you must input each hand separately.

If I have a well-engraved original to work from, then scanning and OCR is my the fastest input method. If from a well-edited manuscript, Hyperscribe.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:22 am

On a Mac with Finale 25.5 it is MIdI/Audio>Quantization Settings
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5

Post by HaraldS » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:25 am

Entering via Hyperscribe to Finale's built in metronome gives unusable results, although I consider myself a decent keyboard player. Entering via Hyperscribe and tapping the beat on a pedal gives much better results. These two methods are worlds apart in my opinion, so when talking about it, it's always worth mentioning the beat source.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:05 pm

I concur with HaraldS. Definitely use the pedal (or other) tapping beat rather than the metronome beat. It allows much more flexibility of entry. And it gets over the issue that motet mentioned: waiting four long beats for a whole note. You just tap faster for longer notes.
www.cantilenapress.com

robertstiffler
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by robertstiffler » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:48 pm

Finale Folks:
I use hyperscribe quite frequently. I am a pretty good keyboard player, I also still use "Sharpeye" scanning program.
My additional advise is: 1. Set the tempo really slow. 2. Mentally give the rests their full time value. 3. In 4/4 music I set quantize to 1/8 note, and set tempo to 8 beats per Measure. There are always mistakes made which I must go back and manually correct.
Bob Stiffler