MM's March 2020 newsletter

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:23 pm

Just got a newsletter in email from MM. Their new practice/distributed parts thing, how to swing 16th notes, MusicXML. Nothing about notation improvements. I am glad they're working on improving MusicXML, though; I hope Dorico is working on reading it.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:12 pm

You don't mention that there's a new version out!

https://www.scoringnotes.com/news/final ... -released/

But yes, you're right: little in the way of improvements.

MM are always very cautious about making statements of future intentions, claiming that as a public company, such things may affect share prices, etc, etc. They seem to be more cautious than most, though.

Here's a Forward Looking Statement*** from the MM Blog in 2015:
We’ve also been asked about our plans to support Standard Music Font Layout (SMuFL) fonts in Finale. We’re concurrently working on this support and updating our flagship Maestro music font to be SmuFL compliant. In the process we will add thousands of new glyphs to the font. The current plan is to not provide this with Finale 2014.5, but to make it part of the next version of Finale.
Waiting......

***https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward-looking_statement

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:44 pm

"MM are always very cautious about making statements of future intentions, claiming that as a public company, such things may affect share prices, etc, etc."

In other words, "our stockholders are much more important than our users."
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Epeedad
Finale Version: 25, 2012

Post by Epeedad » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:57 pm

Hi All,

MM was acquired by Launch Equity Partners, a venture capital fund, in 2013 and is no longer a public company. This means that the various disclosure regulations from the SEC no longer apply. I always felt that this was pretty thin excuse anyway. It appears to me that MM basically took their eye off the ball so to speak about a decade ago and hasn't yet regained focus in spite of various promises from the new owners.

Due to a number minor and not so minor issues with Finale, I've about 80% switched to Dorico, which while not perfect by any means and having a significant learning curve, works better for most of my purposes. The support given by the Dorico team, which I haven't need much of, is outstanding so far.

PS to miker: My wife and I moved to Shoreline WA not far from you 2 years ago! I stumbled on your website while looking for parts to make a murphy bed! We love living here!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:05 pm

BuonTempi wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:12 pm
You don't mention that there's a new version out!

https://www.scoringnotes.com/news/final ... -released/
Oddly, there was no mention of it in the newsletter. I'm glad Philip Rothman is on the ball.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:11 pm

Epeedad wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:57 pm
PS to miker: My wife and I moved to Shoreline WA not far from you 2 years ago! I stumbled on your website while looking for parts to make a murphy bed! We love living here!
Did you get what you needed? Give me a call!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society