Ties to enharmonic notes/chords to next system

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

magnefl
Finale Version: 27.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by magnefl » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:06 am

Hi,

How do you solve ties to enharmonic notes/chords from one system to next? The problem is that the tie ends disappear on the following system (see attachments: Cb, Fb and Db should tie to B, E and C# in the next).
Does anyone have a solution for this that doesn't involve a lot of fiddling or workarounds?

Thank you!

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:09 am

magnefl wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:06 am
How do you solve ties to enharmonic notes/chords from one system to next?
Add ties to nowhere, then use the special tools to adjust the ties. I also added some space at the beginning of the bar with the measure tool. It's fiddly, but possible. The details will vary according to the situation; but as usual in Finale: ‘0ne way or another…’
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by Anders Hedelin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:02 pm

After a while I remembered using shape expressions for laissez-vibrer ties, in a work with a great number of these. Maybe they could be useful for 'enharmonic ties' also?
Enharmonic ties.JPG
Since I wanted them in 'my own' fashion, and not what you find in one of the Engraver fonts, I created a set of ties, or slurs really, with the Shape Designer. In a number of different lenghts, and all with the Allow Horizontal Stretching unchecked for consistency. Admittedly, there is a difference between slurs and ties, but maybe not that obvious to the eye in short ties/slurs as these.

If you have a set of "ties" like this ready at hand, it would probably be much faster than the method with reversed ties, which I regularly have used myself.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by Anders Hedelin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:53 am

On second thought, I'm not that happy with my last suggestion. It would take too much trouble to have the shape-expression slurs/ties look like 'genuine Finale ties'. Oh dear, that I would recommend that, ever...
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10