Editing Parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Pierogiman
Operating System: Windows

Post by Pierogiman » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:21 am

ASUS Laptop
Windows 10/64
Finale 25.5

I have set up my score with two layers per staff, ex. Flute 1-2. I want the parts to be "published" as Flute 1 and Flute 2. After generating, extracting etc., I will then edit the parts using Document>Edit Part>Flute1 or Flute 2. Now the issue.

If I leave both Flute 1&2 on the same page to edit, I have access to the pallets I need. All items are "light" and accessible. However, if I have separated the part(s) into Flute 1 and Flute 2, I don't have access to the pallets I need. Almost all of the items, notes, rests etc. are "dark" and are not accessible.

Now, does this have anything to do with the admonition "Notes in a part with a specified voicing must be edited while viewing the score."? {?????????????????}

Any thoughts, direction or general help will be appreciated.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:33 pm

Pierogiman wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:21 am
Now, does this have anything to do with the admonition "Notes in a part with a specified voicing must be edited while viewing the score."? {?????????????????}
Yes. Does it matter? You could wait and do the necessary editing before you voice the parts. You mention extracting parts. Since you are using linked, voiced parts extracting doesn't really enter the picture - it's a different way entirely to produce parts.

By the way, I would not use layers for a Flute 1/2 score stave. Just use common stems except where you must use layers because of differing rhythms. It looks a lot better. The voicing feature will take care of splitting the 1st and 2nd notes, whether common stemmed or in layers.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3