Can we copy & paste a measure of rests?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:08 pm

When repeating a phrase many times, like when writing a tremelo part for flamenco guitar (groups of five notes played at the speed of four), it would help workflow if able to enter the rests, copy & paste the measure of rests in subsequent measures then overwrite the rests with the notes. Any way to copy and paste such groups of rests?

Rests.jpg

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:28 pm

To avoid that Finale “retranscribes” the rhythm, copy it using a Stack Selection.

I just tried it, and it works for me.

To make a Stack Selection of a single staff in a multi-staff document:

Scroll View.
Program a Staff Set of only that single staff.
While viewing this new staff set you can make a Stack Selection of that single staff.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:50 pm

I would do it with notes instead of rests, and use the repitch tool to enter the pitch I wanted.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:52 pm

I agree with Mike. The repitch tool can be very effective for such situations.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:07 pm

I like the idea of copying notes to paste then edit later, though more time-consuming. But the option has limited functionality as Finale often does not let me access ledger notes, like E2 for guitar. And I tried scrolling down...so many shortcomings in the program.

I have no idea how Peter is able to "Program a Staff Set of only that single staff." The 'what' is not helpful to me. I need the 'how'.

Despite finding the online manual useless for the stacking option, I maintained my foolish optimism and ran a search for "Repitch Tool." No surprise that no mention is made of a Repitch Tool: where is it hidden?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:30 pm

It gets a one-line mention in the user manual under Simple Entry. Which is a shame, because I think it’s one of the most powerful tools in the box.

The way that I use it is to select the last note in the section BEFORE you want to use it. Select the repitch tool, and tap Return or Enter. One or the other will activate the caret right before the starting note. Just enter your notes. I do it from the QWERTY keyboard, keys A-G. It changes the pitch, and sets up for the next one. It jumps over rests. You have the same limitation as simple entry: it goes to the closest note of the pitch, so watch your octaves.

It take a little practice (what doesn’t?) but it’s ideal for repeating rhythms with changing pitches.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 pm

Djard wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:07 pm
I like the idea of copying notes to paste then edit later, though more time-consuming. But the option has limited functionality as Finale often does not let me access ledger notes, like E2 for guitar. And I tried scrolling down...so many shortcomings in the program …
What entry method are you using?
From your description - often does not let me access ledger notes, like E2 for guitar - it sounds like you are using Simple Entry with mouse.
I suggest that you take the time to learn one of Finale’s other entry methods, like e. g. Simple Entry with computer keyboard.
Finale comes with a tutorial document called “EntryExercises.musx”.
Try it!
You will not regret it.

Djard wrote:
…I have no idea how Peter is able to "Program a Staff Set of only that single staff." The 'what' is not helpful to me. I need the 'how' …
Not that it matters - since probably the Repitch Tool is the solution you need - but here are the steps to Program a Staff Set:
Scroll View.
Staff Tool.
Select the staff (staves) to be included in the Staff Set.
Hold down the correct modifier key (Alt? - Ctrl? - I am not sure), and go to
View menu > Staff Sets > Program Staff Set 1
With a Staff Set you can make a Stack Selection of only the staff (staves) included in the Staff Set.

Djard wrote:
…Despite finding the online manual useless for the stacking option, I maintained my foolish optimism and ran a search for "Repitch Tool." No surprise that no mention is made of a Repitch Tool: where is it hidden?
It is one of the sub-tools in the Simple Entry Tool:
RepitchTool.jpg
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:56 am

Djard wrote:
Despite finding the online manual useless for the stacking option, I maintained my foolish optimism and ran a search for "Repitch Tool." No surprise that no mention is made of a Repitch Tool: where is it hidden?

Djard

Post by Djard » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:03 pm

Thanks to all for the valuable help, and thank you Miker of the kind offer to walk me through. Looking back, I see my conniption was unfounded. I have no excuse.

The Staff Set option also worked nicely, and I can see the method being handy for other projects.