Scanning Program for Mac

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

saltamontes
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by saltamontes » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:41 pm

Does anyone have experience with or a recommendation for a program (Mac) to scan pdf format sheet music into (directly or indirectly) Finale? Recently, I have seen ads for ScanScore but apparently it isn't available for Mac at this time. I'm using Finale 26.2 which no longer has a scan capability. Years ago I messed a little with Finale 2012 scanning but wasn't too impressed.

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:50 pm

2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:56 pm

SmartScore Pro. I have used it for hundreds of pieces, from one to a dozen (or more) staves. However, it won’t work for Mac Mojave or Catalina. The new 64-bit version is expected within the next few months. So, my suggestion would be to wait a bit before buying.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

saltamontes

Post by saltamontes » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:09 am

Thanks, guys. I'll have to wait for SmartScore Pro as I am using Mojave. I really appreciate the advice.

robertstiffler
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by robertstiffler » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Finale Folks.
I still use "Sharpeye" for scanning. Sharpeye can generate an .xml file. I do not know if the MAC version of Finale will open a .xml file. My windows version opens the Sharpeye .xml file very nicely.
Bob Stiffler

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:00 pm

Yes, Macs open XML files, as an Import.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:40 pm

MusicXML.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

saltamontes

Post by saltamontes » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:57 am

I talked with a Musitek (SmartScore etc.) representative today and he told me that the current version does work with Mojave. There it a glitch regarding notation, the cursor doesn't change to the selected note (half, quarter, etc.) and that will be fixed in the upcoming Upgrade in May. He advised me to wait to purchase until next month because updates are free within the first two months from purchase date. Also, there is a 50% discount on products if you have Finale, so that cuts the cost of SmartScore professional from $399 to $199. The step below Professional is Songbook which is reportedly exactly the same as Pro except it is limited to just 3 staves as opposed to 12 and it, with Finale discount, is a measly $99. I'm messing with the Songbook Demo now and it's still a bit awkward to use, but there's a lot to learn. I will put it to the test over the next three or four weeks and see if it's worth the expense.

Zoots
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Zoots » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:05 pm

Actually, the Smartscore Pro version handles unlimited staves, not 12.

Recommend you take the time to learn SS even though it isn't the devil you know right now. It is designed to handle scans that may not be interpreted correctly whereas Finale builds its scores based on what you enter and creates its "database" according to its rules and can get confused if it gets something it doesn't understand. SS has some features that make correcting quite efficient.

If you have a lot of errors, usually that show up as wrong time in the measures try adjusting the scan parameters slightly. This can sometimes make a difference. Also, make sure the scan is deskewed before Recognizing.

I don't do lyrics but I understand they can be problematic and are easier to just set SS to ignore them and then enter them in Finale. You can do the same for text if you like since your final product will be produced by Finale.

There is a wealth of information in the Smartscore user guide.
Finale 25.5
SmartScore 64
JABB3
Windows 11