Hiding 'Empty' Staves in Finale v25

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

AJComplex
Finale Version: Finale 25.5.0.290
Operating System: Windows

Post by AJComplex » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:55 pm

I have a piece of music which starts in unison and then a few bars later switches to harmony mid-measure. I split the bar where it switches from unison to harmony so that the harmony section shows as starting on the next system. I then hide the empty staves on the first system and this works fine. I end up with a single line of music on the first system and two lines of music on the second system from the point in the split bar where the harmony starts.

However, when I do the same, going from a harmony section to a unison section, the 'empty' staves in the unison section do not 'hide'. I appreciate that there are rests at the end of the part of the split measure where the unison section restarts but this is the case going from unison to harmony. The only difference I can see is that, going from unison to harmony, rests in the part measure being hidden are at the start of the bar whereas going from harmony to unison, the rests are at the end of the part bar.

I have attached the piece of music in question.

Any help you can give in resolving this conundrum would be appreciated.
Currently (2018) using Finale 25.5.0.290

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:55 pm

AJComplex,

You have used the Split Measure method that involves “Horizontal Split Point”.

Instead, use the plug-in Split Measure.

See the attached Finale document.
146 (1) From all that Dwell below the Skies (Lasst uns Erfreuen) - sample fixed.musx
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996