desending bass line

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

george ports 33
Finale Version: finale 26.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by george ports 33 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:17 pm

How can I type the chord symbols: Gm, #7, b7, 6 using the 'chord symbols' menu, not the 'text' menu? I can do it all except for the #7.
I tried to edit the chord, but when I clicked enter, it eliminated the # sign.
Am using win 10 Finale 25.
Thanks for any help,
George Ports

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:55 pm

George Ports,

Chord symbol spelling is highly idiosyncratic and highly contentious.
All musicians want to believe that their preferred method of spelling chords is the One True Way.
In reality, what is considered correct, is determined by consensus within communities, not by the strict application of rules.
That said, there are practical reasons to prefer chord symbols that are concise, compact, consistent, unambiguous, and visually distinct from one another.

I am confused by what you wrote in your post.
To me it is not clear what your desired layout should look like (?)

I suspect that the meaning of your layout is this:
Gm, Gm/F#, Gm/F, Gm/E
- right?

But I also suspect that your desired layout differs from, what I wrote above.

Please explain.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

george ports 33

Post by george ports 33 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:03 am

You are correct on what I am asking for or Gm, GmM7, Gm7, Gm6. I would like to have Gm, #7, b7. 6 (desending bass line on a Gm chord) because of the limited space I have since they have to fit over 1/8 note triplets.
I know that it can be done with a text box or with the expression tool but was hoping I could merely type it within the chord tool menu like I can with the b key creating a flat sign. Hope this makes sense.
I could make a macro key perhaps; just not familiar with doing so.
Thanks for your help Peter. I appreciate it.
George

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:55 am

It is possible to do what you want with the Chord Tool. The b7, #7 and 6 should be created as chord suffixes. Type G as the chord root above each note of the triplet, then use "Edit Chord Definition" to add each of the 3 new suffixes. To hide the chord root on each of these, use Utilities > Change > Chords to deselect display of the roots, leaving the suffixes behind.

The attached file shows what I'm describing.
Attachments
Chord.musx
(13.37 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:55 pm

Changing the suffix the way motet describes is fine, but it does not imply that the bass line is moving, except if it is a bass part, with the notes specifying it.
For the other musicians in the rhythm section of for the bassist if the notes are not present, a succession of alternate bass notes is clearer.
In this case, alternate bass should be set "as subtext" and the display of suffix and root can be unchecked.
A quick example :
gm.jpeg
gm.jpeg (12.66 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
When a musician sees the bass note movement, he will know how to adapt the top voicings.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

george ports 33

Post by george ports 33 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:26 pm

N. Grossingink:
I tried what you suggested. I unchecked The 'root' in utilities but, it took away the # and b signs too.
I created a #7 in the expressions tool via duplicate, edit. Then adjust the font size etc. This procedure works but was hoping for a simpler way to do this.
Thanks to all of you for your help and ideas. I really appreciate your time spent in helping me.
George

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:31 pm

You might try setting them up with parentheses. Obviously, there is a difference between Bb5, and B(b5). The computer doesn’t know the difference, unless you tell it!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

george ports 33

Post by george ports 33 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:05 am

That was a good idea Miker. My problem with that is it is too tight because of my limited vertical space. Tweeking it would take longer than what I ended up doing.
Thank you so much for the suggestion.
George