Trouble with easy harmonic analysis

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:30 pm

I've never entered harmonic analysis with Finale, but now because of Zoom teaching, I am doing it for the first time. I'm having two problems with things that should be but are not addressed in the online manual:

1. How to add the / to secondary chords, like "V65/V" (imagine the 6 and 5 being vertically aligned). I keep getting a slash that goes through the 6 and 5 whenever I use / after I have input the figures. Once I've had that happen, then I am able to insert a normal /V, but otherwise, I am not able to insert a normal slash followed by V.

2. I'm trying to write "ii (half-diminished symbol) (65, numerals aligned, of course)". I can input the slashed circle fine, but then the 6 and 5 are superimposed directly on it, which makes it useless.

The attached file shows my woes.

Thanks!

Mark
OS 10.15.3
Finale 26

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:26 am

Could you use the figured bass font? (Keep in mind that I know nothing about harmonic analysis or figured bass.)

Looking at the manual page it looks like a lot of what you need is there.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:41 am

miker wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:26 am
Could you use the figured bass font? (Keep in mind that I know nothing about harmonic analysis or figured bass.)

Looking at the manual page it looks like a lot of what you need is there.
Thanks, Miker. I tried your suggestion, but alas, the very same things are happening.

The figured bass numbers are not the problem; I'm able to add those easily enough. It's

1) adding a forward slash, as in V/V that doesn't work; the slash goes through the figures, instead of after them; and
2) adding the half-diminished symbol (a little circle with a slash through it) *between* the Roman numeral and the figures; instead it superimposes the symbol right on top of the figure 6.

I'm stumped, but I need to figure this out fast, as I need to do this in my online class.

Mark

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:05 am

Eureka! I reread the directions and discovered that in order to place something to the right of a zero-width character (figures and diminished symbols included), you type `, which advances the cursor to the right but not to the next note.

Problem solved.

Mark