Adding a Lead Sheet to Piano Music

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

konradh
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2014a.v85
Operating System: Windows

Post by konradh » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:43 am

Situation:

• I have a lead sheet in Print Music (melody and lyrics on one staff).
• I have a MIDI file for the piano accompaniment.

Goal: Create a Print Music score with vocal and piano accompaniment.

What's the easiest way?
1. I could create a piano score in Print Music from the MIDI file, if there were a way to merge the vocal and piano music.
2. I could possibly add two staves to the lead sheet, but I don't know how to import the MIDI into those two specific staves.
3.Importing MIDI is weird because the music doesn't always start where I want. Is there a way to drag and drop a MIDI file on a particular staff at a particular place?

PS I understand music and am very experienced with DAW software, but I am still stumbling around with notation software. Since I am a songwriter, I want to get proficient with Print Music/Finale because I have a large catalog.

Thanks! --Konrad

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:58 am

An idea:

1) Create a piano score in Print Music from the MIDI file.
Add a vocal staff above the piano’s Grand Staff.

2) Open the lead sheet, Select All, and Copy.

3) Go back to the piano score, select the added vocal staff, and Paste.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

konradh
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2014a.v85
Operating System: Windows

Post by konradh » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:18 pm

That sounds very straightforward. Thanks very much.

One follow-up, if that's allowed.

When I import a MIDI file and the music does not start on beat 1, all the music is shifted early (left). In other words, Finale assumes the music start on beat 1 bar 1. What I did last time was to add garbage notes to the front of the MIDI file, and then erase them after the import.

Is there a way to import the MIDI to start on a certain beat or in a certain bar, or is it easier just to import it all and then shift it all right a certain number of beats or bars? I don't know how to shift it (push it over), but there must be a way.

Thanks again for your help!

--Konrad