Whole Note Tuplets

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

RVS Lee
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by RVS Lee » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:55 pm

Dear all -
Today's "I've totally forgotten how to do something incredibly basic, and can't find it" question:
How do I enter a whole note tuplet so that the number(s) in the brackets appear correctly? (Speedy)

Thanks loads!

RVS Lee

Post by RVS Lee » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:01 pm

Update - I was not clear; what I can't remember is how to add said tuplet via the dialogue box, (changing rhythms) without erasing and reentering...

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:44 pm

RVS Lee wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:01 pm
… How do I enter a whole note tuplet so that the number(s) in the brackets appear correctly? (Speedy) …
RVS Lee wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:01 pm
… what I can't remember, is how to add said tuplet via the dialogue box, (changing rhythms) without erasing and reentering …
I am sorry, but your question is still not clear to me.

I suspect that you are not talking “Finale-speak”?

A tuplet - in “Finale-speak” - means any tuplet: duplet, triplet, quadruplet, quintuplet, sextuplet, &c.

Are talking about a triplet?

Are you asking for a specific way to create it? - or for any way to create it?

Please explain.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

RVS Lee

Post by RVS Lee » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:42 pm

Hey Peter -
Yeah, I'm a little fried... Let's try again...
I can't remember how to apply a tuplet via the dialogue box to whole notes already entered, and avoid erasing and reentering pitches in order to invole the ctl x speedy shortcut.
Basically, I wish there were a whole note item in the tuplet dialogue numerator/denominator dropdowns.
Hope that's clearer...
And, thanks as always!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:25 pm

You didn't answer my question in the redundant topic, so I'll post here. If it's really a tuplet of three whole notes you want, then in Speedy entry, press Ctrl-3 (for a triplet), then enter three whole notes. That's the standard way of entering a tuplet in Speedy and that's all there is to it. For a quadruplet, use Ctrl4, and so on. You are right that this can't be done in Simple entry or with the Tuplet tool.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:15 am

RVS Lee wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:42 pm
… How do I enter a whole note tuplet so that the number(s) in the brackets appear correctly? (Speedy) …
RVS Lee wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:42 pm
… I can't remember how to apply a tuplet via the dialogue box to whole notes already entered …
What “dialogue box” are you talking about?
Is it a dialogue box in the Speedy Entry Tool?

When you are in the Speedy Entry Tool, you can hit CTRL-1 to open the Tuplet Definition dialogue box.
Is that the “dialogue box” you are talking about?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

RVS Lee

Post by RVS Lee » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:24 pm

Dear all
Thanks for your patience... Motet, I haven't seen the "redundant thread" so my apologies.

So here's a trivial example...
Whole Note tuplets.jpg
The problem is that I cannot enter the pitches first and then (accurately) superimpose the outside triplet using the tuplet def window (no whole note option in the dropdown lists.)

In this case, I need to use an annoyingly sib-like workflow:
Speedy, ctl 3, enter first pitch as whole note, change duration to half, proceed...

in order to achieve the correct result:
WNTuplet2.jpg
It isn't a huge deal, but it does tend to slow me down...

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:45 pm

RVS Lee wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:24 pm
In this case, I need to use an annoyingly sib-like workflow:
Speedy, ctl 3, enter first pitch as whole note, change duration to half, proceed...
Doesn't seem like much of an annoyance. Make sure the Speedy option "Insert notes or rests" is unchecked, then, after entering your whole note, press left-arrow followed by 6 and that's it. That seems quicker than anything involving a dialog box.

I agree that whole note should be on the pull-down choices in the tuplet dialog, but it ain't going to happen.