JW Plugins not working

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dtoub
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by dtoub » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:00 pm

I'm going to avoid delving into the Mac vs PC wars that I thought were largely over in the late 2000's, but as far as issues on this forum, c'mon: I've been here for a long time and use Macs exclusively and am not seeing any huge disparity in OS issues with regard to macOS. If anything, because I suspect a lot of people here use PC's, some issues relate more often to Windows. But regardless, this is not a relevant comparison. You don't know, with all due respect Ernest, what the true prevalence of PCs and Macs are. Only a system administrator might know that in terms of system logs and the OS's used.

Truth be told, I could care less what someone chooses to use as their OS. I am a Mac person and while I can, and often do, criticize Apple for many many things, I wouldn't ever consider switching (especially for music notation). I got through my MBA and multiple jobs with various iterations of macOS/OS X/System whatever and that was back when the Mac was not always playing nicely with Windows-based networks and vice-versa.
http://dbtmusic.wordpress.com

https://dtoub.bandcamp.com/

Finale 27.x/macOS Sonoma/GPO 5/NotePerformer/Perfect Layout/Reason 12

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:09 pm

You don't know, with all due respect Ernest, what the true prevalence of PCs and Macs are.
Neither do I nor do I care. People can use whatever they like. I know what I saw when I was working and I know the percentage estimated by the powers that be. The fact is and remains new software almost always causes problems on a Mac. Now add to that the also fact they cost more for the same thing. The latter being my main most reason for not owning one. If they were more competitive in price I could see myself using one. I have come close to buying a Mac several times until I get to the price. I have several friends as I suspect you do in Windows machine, that use the Mac platform and are completely happy. I have a iphone 13 and a ipad, love'em. And I would love a Mac for sure. Just cut the darn price to a reasonable level and stop screwing up the OS every few months.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

dtoub

Post by dtoub » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:28 pm

maybe you might be better informed if you actually used one. They do not constantly break software. I'm on a development seed of macOS 12.4. Hasn't yet been officially released. Nothing has broken. I haven't had any of my music or office apps "break" in a long time. And usually a driver just required a simple update.

As to their cost, I don't disagree. They've always been that way, although Mac's have gotten much less expensive over time in general. And they are way more powerful and stay useful for much longer than many PCs. I'm using a MacBook Pro from 2018 and it works just fine for all my music stuff, all the stuff I do in my day job (which involves a lot of office apps including complex spreadsheets), etc. Much as I'd love a new M1 MBP (or M2) for the crazy speed, my 2018 model works just fine, even when I look at MR scans and manipulate them (which is very CPU-intensive). I don't care what anyone uses; it's still a free country (for now, kinda, sorta). But just as I wouldn't make general pronouncements about PCs since I don't use them and can't comment from experience, I'm disappointed you would make general statements and judgments about systems you don't know. Also, life is not binary; there are a lot of nuances and shades of gray. Just as I wouldn't say that Finale is the best thing out there; I use it, would not want to experience composing without it, but that doesn't mean I don't think it needs some enhancements and also a solution for plugins that will likely no longer work soon (some of which currently have stopped working).

blueshift
Finale Version: 27.2

Post by blueshift » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:57 pm

This Terminal Command works nicely.

sudo spctl --master-disable

Yes it does.
Finale 27.4.1 (since 2.6.3)
MacOS 14 Sonoma - unfortunately
MacMini i7x6 64gb RAM
GPO5 / GCPO / EW Symphonic Choirs / Modern Scoring Brass / Chris Hein Ensemble Strings / Fisk organ (O-Forbes)
Cubase / Studio One

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:23 pm

I'm disappointed you would make general statements and judgments about systems you don't know.
Believe what you will. Use whatever you like. Makes no difference to me. I was there. I know what I saw. I beta tested for two large companies for five+ years each. Clearly the majority of problems came from the Mac side. Especially strong proof since Macs are in way less use, percentage wise, in the consumers hands than Windows machines.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

N Grossingink

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:56 pm

ebiggs1 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:23 pm
Clearly the majority of problems came from the Mac side. Especially strong proof since Macs are in way less use, percentage wise, in the consumers hands than Windows machines.
Let me assure you that in the music publishing industry, Macs "rule the roost" and always have.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

dtoub

Post by dtoub » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:13 am

ebiggs1 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:23 pm
I'm disappointed you would make general statements and judgments about systems you don't know.
Believe what you will. Use whatever you like. Makes no difference to me. I was there. I know what I saw. I beta tested for two large companies for five+ years each. Clearly the majority of problems came from the Mac side. Especially strong proof since Macs are in way less use, percentage wise, in the consumers hands than Windows machines.
My dude, I strongly suspect any such experience (which is anecdotal) was from years ago. That's just not most peoples' experience over recent years.

And speaking as a person who deals with scientific evidence every day, what you describe is not at all "Especially strong proof." It's not "proof." It's anecdote, and clearly not corroborated by a general sniff test.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:27 pm

Let me assure you that in the music publishing industry, Macs "rule the roost" and always have.
Perhaps so, but not in the general public which makes up the vast majority of computer and Finale users. Look it makes no difference to me what you guys use. It's your dime and you can spend twice as much to get nothing for it except continual OS breakage. Once you get it working it may work great. Who knows, who cares? I don't. That is what it should do. But then there is always that money thing. You spent way more than you needed too.

You guys picked on the wrong guy for this. I am an equal critic of MS and Apple. I have and enjoy an iphone 13 pro and an ipad. I am no fan boy of MS, that's certain. No matter how hard you "sniff" the facts remain.