TAB chord slide

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

stanb
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by stanb » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:50 pm

I am playing around with notation for lap steel guitar (CEGACE). I created a test piece with a TAB staff and a notation staff. When I drag the notation measure to the TAB staff from the notation staff the TAB that is generated for the chord is missing all but one of the slide markings. I can add the slide markings to the TAB numbers manually but it would be nice to have them appear automatically.

Is this a bug or is this the expected behavior when creating TAB? Thanks.
lap-steel-tab-chord-slide.jpg
Finale 25
Windows 10 Pro

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bill Stevens » Sat May 02, 2020 5:44 pm

You didn't get an answer to this, so I thought I would offer my 2¢ even though I don't play lap steel. When I do tablature for banjo, for slides I just use a slur above the top notes and sl. above the slur. To my eye the six slide marks are confusing on the notation staff, especially with the accidentals. Having said that, if steel players are used to the portamento marks then I realize you will have to find a way to make it work.

Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sun May 03, 2020 10:35 am

So far as the Tab slides not copying, I have had troubles copying gliss. lines, which use the same mechanism as slides (note-attached Smart Shapes). The only solution I can see is to re-enter the missing slides/glisses as you go along.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3