Transpose a multi-key piece with corresponding pitch changes in playback

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

montedoro44
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by montedoro44 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 pm

If this question has been addressed, please forgive -- I can't find it. I (think I) understand Key Signature Tool, Transpose Utility, and Score Manager Transposition. I want to change notation and playback pitch to a piece that has several sections in different keys. I can't find any way to do this.

Score Manager Transposition can add as many sharps or flats to the key sig as I want, throughout the piece. But it doesn't change the playback pitches. If it did, then my problem is solved.

The Key Signature Tool does not add sharps and flats -- it makes the selected section the key you select, and changes the playback pitch accordingly. Just what I need, but if a piece has 5 key changes, then I have to use KST 5 times (6, really) and figure out the change I need for each section.

I hope that is enough info to describe the problem unambiguously. But just in case, for example -- suppose I have a duet and it has key changes, say, C-F-A. I want to mute one of the two staves so I can play along with the other, as music-minus-one. Now I want to raise or lower the pitch of the entire piece say, by a 4th up, so I need print and pitch in F-Bb-D. Is there a way to do this all at once?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed May 06, 2020 4:50 pm

When using the Key Signature Tool, check the box for "Transpose all keys proportionally".

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5

Post by HaraldS » Wed May 06, 2020 4:52 pm

The Score Manager's transpose section is for transposed instruments only, like e.g. clarinet or trumpet.

What you need to do is to select the key signature tool, select the whole piece and double-click. The key signature dialog box comes up. Select the new key to which the first bars of your score should be transposed. Then select "Transpose All Keys Proportionally". The latter switch makes sure all of your piece's keys will be transposed in the same way like the first one.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

montedoro44
Finale Version: 27

Post by montedoro44 » Wed May 06, 2020 5:04 pm

Thousand thanks! And it was right in front of me. There's a year of frustration resolved in 2 minutes.

I see that KST defaults back to proportionally=off on re-use. No problem. Happy.