Entering Multiple measures w/ Repetitive Note Rhythmic Values

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dgerundo
Finale Version: 26.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by dgerundo » Fri May 08, 2020 12:49 am

I am notating a score that has many measures with repetitive Six-Tup-Lets.
Is there an efficient way to do this without continually having to use the 'Triplet' Tool?

I thought years ago I read in a manual that there was a way to 'enter' the rhythmic values of the notes in the measures and then go back and just enter the pitches and Finale would automatically assign the next pitch to the next note value.

Thanks,

Don

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri May 08, 2020 12:57 am

You can do all of this in the Simple Entry Tool, as one method. There is a Tuplet sub-tool in Simple Entry. Start a sextuplet and press alt-9 (in Windows--not sure the modifier key in Mac). You can then set the definition for the sextuplet and make that the default. Then, for the next sextuplet, just press 9 and a sextuplet will be started, per the default setting you saved from the first sextuplet.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri May 08, 2020 2:28 am

dgerundo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:49 am
I thought years ago I read in a manual that there was a way to 'enter' the rhythmic values of the notes in the measures and then go back and just enter the pitches and Finale would automatically assign the next pitch to the next note value.
It's called the Repitch tool, part of Simple entry. You could do one measure, copy it however many times, then use the Repitch tool to change the pitches. You just type the note name A-G or play it on the MIDI keyboard and it moves automatically from note to note.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri May 08, 2020 2:55 pm

To follow up here, I was thinking that the repitch approach was what was being asked about, but I think entering repeated sextuplets via the incorporated tuplet tool in Simple entry might have gotten a quicker result. However, maybe copying one measure of sextuplets and then using repitch would be easier. I suppose it might depend on the task at hand, which we are not privy to.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

dgerundo

Post by dgerundo » Fri May 08, 2020 5:15 pm

Thank you,
I will try the repitch method.
I am not sure how efficient using the Tuplet Tool with Simple Entry would be since I think the workflow would be:
1) Choose the Tuplet Tool
2) Enter the parameters: 6 sixteenth notes for 1 quarter note
3) Enter the notes using Simple / Speedy entry: G,D,B,G,B,D (a 'G' Arpeggio)
Go back to # 1 to do the same thing but with a 'C' Arpeggio........
.... and the fun continues.

thanks

motet

Post by motet » Fri May 08, 2020 5:17 pm

Don't confuse the separate Tuplet let tool which appears on the Tools palette with the tuplet function built into Simple entry. The former is almost never needed and requires cumbersome switching back and forth.

In simple entry, use Alt-9 the first time and set up for 6 sixteenths in the space of 4. Click the box that says to make this the default. From then on, you need only do: note 1, 9 key (no Alt), notes 2-6, as zuill says.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri May 08, 2020 6:57 pm

dgerundo,

(You are using Mac Finale, right?)

Both the Simple Entry Tool and the Speedy Entry Tool have a Tuplet (sub-)Tool so that you can enter tuplets without leaving the entry tool.

In the Simple Entry Tool you enter the first tuplet note, and then activate the Tuplet (sub-)Tool via (alt +) the number 9 key.

In the Speedy Entry Tool you first activate the Tuplet (sub-)Tool via alt + {number key}*), and then enter the first tuplet note.

*)
alt + 1 : opens the Tuplet Definition
alt + 2 : Duplets
alt + 3 : Triplets
alt + 4 : Quadruplets
alt + 5 : Quintuplets
alt + 6 : Sextuplets
&c.

Also, the Speedy Entry Tool has the Caps Lock trick, letting you enter a string of (a gazillion) notes with the same rhythmical value (e. g. Sextuplet 16ths).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

dgerundo

Post by dgerundo » Sat May 09, 2020 6:27 pm

Ooooooooo,
Thanks everyone, That sub Triplet Tool is very, very nice....... I really appreciate it.

Next, I will try the 'CapsLock' trick.

Thanks again,
Don

motet

Post by motet » Sat May 09, 2020 6:33 pm

The Speedy CapsLock feature is very handy, but if you play a wrong note and have to Undo, things then go seriouly awry, a bug I wish they'd fix.