Select main menu items

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

AcevedoA
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by AcevedoA » Thu May 14, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi all,

New to this forum but not Finale. Can anyone tell me what I could possibly be missing. I was wondering if there are keyboard shortcuts to select main menu items. This is a feature in musescore that I find super helpful. For example, is there a keyboard shortcut to select say the simple entry tool rather than using a mouse. I have everything at my midi controller and don't really have the room for a mouse. I've searched the manual, and through the keyboard shortcuts and no luck.

Thanks a bunch,

Oz
Mac OS X 10.14.6 (Mojave), Finale 26.2.2.493

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu May 14, 2020 6:18 pm

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about shortcuts to Finale’s various tools, right?

Some of the tools already have a default shortcut.

Selection Tool: ⇧⌘A
NB: The Selection Tool is Finale’s “non-tool” tool.
When you are in the Selection Tool, double-clicking an item will take you to the relevant tool, with the item selected.
Example: double-clicking a smart shape will take you to the Smart Shape Tool, with the smart shape selected.

Hand Grabber Tool: hold down ⌥⌘ - and you can drag in the document window. (This is similar to two-finger scrolling)

Also try this:
If you are in e. g. the Simple Entry Tool, hit the esc key - and see what happens.
The esc key is the general shortcut to getting out of whatever you are in.

Often there is no need to switch to the Zoom Tool - since there are some zoom shortcuts.
First, try ⌘+ and ⌘-
Next, try ⇧⌘-click on the score, and ⇧⌥⌘-click on the score.

As it is in many other programs, ⌘, (= command - comma) will take you to the Preferences.

You can enable the Tools menu via Preferences - View.

With the Tools menu enabled you can assign keyboard shortcuts to the items in the Tools menu.

To assign keyboard shortcuts, use e. g. the Mac OS control panel Keyboard.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Thu May 14, 2020 6:20 pm

Quick answer: in Mac System Preferences you can set up application specific keyboard short cuts.

There are other ways too plus the already existing short cuts mentioned by Peter above.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu May 14, 2020 10:42 pm

I’ve done the same thing as David. The advantage is that you can choose the triggers and choices to fit your workflow.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

AcevedoA
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by AcevedoA » Fri May 15, 2020 1:41 am

Thanks guys. Really, I just want to toggle between note entry and the pointer that comes up when you hit esc. Sorry I was vague. In musescore it was click the staff then press n and you are inputting notes. I guess that's what I was after. I knew of some of the others and I have the shortcuts printed on my desk. The toggling just stumped me. Not a deal breaker obviously. I'm not switching to Musescore over this lol. I just use it as a high school teacher because it is powerful enough for the kids and the price is right for my school budget.
Mac OS X 10.14.6 (Mojave), Finale 26.2.2.493

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri May 15, 2020 4:09 am

Then just set up a shortcut to a note. I have an F key to choose Simple Entry > Quarter note. It’s easy to change to another duration with the numberpad. That, and the ESC key do what you ask.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society